300 TDi death rattle/whistle?

muddy

Evening folks, vehicle is my 300tdi 90 with different fuel pin, max fuel screw mods and a manual boost controller. Up until these cooler nights it has only been able to make 1.5bar of boost @the manifold before it spins the clutch up in 3rd,4th and 5th (yes i need a new clutch thats another story), however it will now make around 1.8bar (nothing changed) however when it gets to 1.7/1.8 it starts to make a bit of a rattle. Well i think its a rattle i can only describe it asif the exhaust box baffles are loose however i dont think it is this.

I have replaced the turbo to intercooler pipes with sillycone but the intercooler to manifold pipe is standard, its still going well so i dont think its a boost leak? do these turbos make a noise like this when they are unhappy? i dont recall my disco 200 screaming like this at 2bar.

And yes i realise that they shouldnt be running this much boost i will retune everything once the new clutch goes in. Egt's were not topping 700 before (according to gauge) but havnt tried with the death whistle obviously.

Any thoughts?

Cheers, Will.

My 300 disco started making these noises recently, started as a nice turbo whistle, then got loud, then one day sounded rattley and horrible. It was still boosting well and no power loss. But when i decided to investigate, i found the bearings on the impeller had disapeared and the shaft itself had so much movement it was chewing the turbine housing to pieces! It half filled the intercooler with oil and when i emptied it i found lots of missing turbo pieces.

New turbo and its all good again.

Steve