Stubborn Old Engine any ideas to get it to start!

sotal

Am just waiting for a replacement. The only problem is the 'known good' part!

I've got an offer of one which has been sat on an engine for the past 5 years without being started.

I've also got a possible offer of one which was working well - it's on a series which is about to be broken, but would have to wait a few weeks for this one.

I expected to see an obvious fault with it- - but at the end of the day there may be nothing wrong with it, it might be something else wrong

You may be able to see an obvious if you pointed a multimeter at it, but then without knowing what to look for you could just be wasting more time -you have checked the servicable bits, the bearing and the brushes and found no fault, it must be the windings burnt out.

Just to point out -

Your current starter is honey toast-smelling, and is still junk evidentally.

Don't buy one that's 5-years old and is worth 50p from the pound shop and is more than likely to fail in a short while.

Buy a new or refurb one that has a genuine guarantee on it,

Les

throw it away and get a good one.

Les.

Sotal - buy a new/refurb starter motor

Les :)

replace the starter with a known or guaranteed one.

Les.

Buy a new or refurb one

Les

I think your old one is fine and it's actually something else :)

Les :unsure:

ok, i think we understood them.....

:hysterical:

No - I think he should ignore advice to replace it with a known good one

Les :) :) :)

ok, make your mind up!!!! ;) ;) :P

i think old age is catching up with him :moglite:

It only does the free spinning bit when you try and short it, if you turn with the key it either tries to turn the engine very slowly, or it it just clicks and you have to release and turn again. Probably about 60% tries to turn / 40% just clicks

When you say it only spins when you short it which terminals are you shorting? if its the two large terminals it will only spin as its a pre-engaged starter, you need to connect from the main lead to the little terminal to engage the solenoid. the 2a would have had an inertia starter fitted originally with a remote solenoid. it may be a silly question but is the main supply direct to the starter from the battery or still fed via the original solenoid?

The original 2a engine had exactly the same starter setup with the solenoid mounted on the starter motor. It was a 1970 engine and all tallied up age wise etc. I've only ever seen the remote solenoids on the petrol engines.

We swapped the bulkhead at the same time though so it's exactly as it was in the series 3. Got the lovely job of swapping the bulkhead back to the 2a in the future! It's all patched up now just needs painting along with the bonnet - been putting it off partly due to the amount of work and partly due to the fact I don't have any doors for the 2a and don't know if the S3 doors will fit with the wrong hinges.