Heatshot - heated washer fluid for winter

I took the cheapo-approach to this: a trip to the local aquarium-supply place got me a couple of metres of clear 'air-bubbler' pipe and two pipe couplers.

Intercept the washer-pipe at a convenient point between the pump and the nozzles.

Cut washer-pipe.

Wind the new couple-of-metres of pipe tightly round the metal heater feed coolant-hose that runs above the exhaust-manifold [mine's a TD5; there's a heat-shield between the manifold and the coolant-pipe].

A couple of cable-ties will hold the ends of the new windy-pipe in place.

Use the 2 pipe-couplers to connect the ends of this pipe to the cut washer-feed.

Job Done.

--Tanuki

"Badgers are part of the problem not part of the answer"

That was my thought, is this supposed to be on all the time and if so how much current is it drawing?

It's supposed to be on all the time when the weather is cold. It should draw 1/4 of an amp when it's on.

I wonder what the thermal conductivity of araldite is? Would heat transfer be greater with a different resin?

Mav, how did you test the jet was/wasn't free ? I'm thinking a bit of a push from the washer pump may push some of the ice out IYSWIM

It's supposed to be on all the time when the weather is cold. It should draw 1/4 of an amp when it's on.

I wonder what the thermal conductivity of araldite is? Would heat transfer be greater with a different resin?

Mav, how did you test the jet was/wasn't free ? I'm thinking a bit of a push from the washer pump may push some of the ice out IYSWIM

I've been having some similar thoughts about the araldite too... i might remove some of it and pop in some liquid metal type resin might hold the heat a little better.

I tested the jets by blowing down them, not perticulalry hard to be honest, i'm convinced they would clear with a bit of back pressure from a good squisher pump

Another thought I had was that maybe too much resin may also be detrimental, the extra mass means to bring the overall tempeature up you have to heat all the resin so the end result is it takes longer to defrost the nozzle ... also means that it takes longer to cool it down as well....

How much resin/plastic/gunk did the original heated nozzle have?

• 2 months later...

I bought one of the Heatshot systems last summer (2011) and found it very good at clearing flies off my screen. I have waited for some cold weather to give it a good test this winter but so far havent had more that a handful of cold days. On the days where there was ice on the screen it did exactly what they say it would do and it cleared very quickly, just 2 sprays and i was on my way. So very pleased so far.

I was a bit put out seeing that it could be bought from alphatherm at a cheaper price. I made some enquiries and found that it is an old version (the Hotshot system that was recalled!!). The version i bought has been completely redesigned. It is more efficient, has been modified for European vehicles, and has a longer warrenty. I was going to buy one of the american ones for my wifes car to try but they would not ship to the uk! Probably for the best if the fuses are not up to UK standard!! LOL!

I know it seems a bit expensive but i really am happy with what it can do. I must be the only one who wants cold weather at the moment!! LOL!