overheat protection with ms1 029v??

Davecrx

Hi to all.

Right here is what happens, when i'm doing some off roading and the engine gets a little bit warm (but not over heating) the engine starts to misfire and then slowly dies and wont start until the engine has cooled down.

Could this be an overheat protection in the ms or could it be something else???

Thanks for you time Dave

I'd make a log of the engine from "normal" to when it starts giving you problems and have a close look at the temperatures you are logging (both IAT and CLT) and the fuelling. The most likely is that you have a problem with one or the other temperatures and the fuelling is being messed up as a result.

Post up the log file and msq and I'm sure someone will be able to help point out where the problem lies.

I'd make a log of the engine from "normal" to when it starts giving you problems and have a close look at the temperatures you are logging (both IAT and CLT) and the fuelling. The most likely is that you have a problem with one or the other temperatures and the fuelling is being messed up as a result.

Post up the log file and msq and I'm sure someone will be able to help point out where the problem lies.

Yer was going to do that but i'll have to fake an overheat lol

To fake an overheat just take the fan off.

I have a friend who had an overfuelling problem offroading, basically his problem was that he would be driving around with a nice warm engine, hit a bit of water, the air temp sensor would read a drop and it would stick a load more fuel in. Thats why I cheated and stuck my air temperature sensor in the cabin. :unsure:

That sounds like the air temperature is picking up heat soak from the engine and therefore leaning out the mixture to the point of stalling.

There's a fix for that explained by Bull Bar Cowboy somewhere in the MS MegaThread I think. Essentially you tell MS to ignore any intake temperature above 30 degrees (or so).

also bear in mind too weak feels and behaves the same as too rich :)

Post up a XLS log and MSQ File

With the issue - e-mail to interested parties :D

CCAD is around where the engine is running and at a certain temp, you switch off

and not fan watrer pump cooling recirc is dead the core temp rises, and then its a barsteward to start up

the settings above from jeff are a good start for a Rover V8, access via

Megatune > Advanced >? CCAD >

These should be from 90 -120 degress in steps, but worth setting to what you engine is doing

also switch it off at higher RPMs its better used at the lower (sub 2k RPMs)

Liniar curves are also normal vs Striaght line as the heat has an exponential effect

These are read / upped from the VE table, so ensure you understand that if you retune your VE all the number in CCAD will be effected !

Nige