battery to start a v8

Hybrid_From_Hell

If you want to start engines for MS projects, and perhaps they aren't that well tuned at the time, you may want plenty of reserve cranking capacity. A 643 or 644 tractor battery is a pretty good one for this.

Nige, if it's going to be a testing item...i'm going to assume that you won't be using it all that often ? So why not find some deep cycle battery that you can afford to go flat and then charge it back up again ?

G

A true deep cycle battery is not good for cranking - they're designed to delivery low currents over long periods of time, cranking requires much higher currents, for short periods of time.

hybrid batteries are different, but I'd still say a normal cranking battery is better for a test bed. Since I'm guessing size isn't an issue, I'd have thought something readily available and well sized would be the best choice?