4sp ZF auto box

jules

I'm looking for oil coolers but my truck is in Bounmouth so I can't take any dimention off it and I want better cooling for the auto box generaly

1) Anyone know the oil cooler fitting size as it exits the gear box flow and return

2) what is the ideal volume for a cooler to carry for good cooling ??

3) while I asking anyone know the fitting sizes for a 4.0-4.2 V8 oil cooler engine flow and return

Thanks if anyone can help and no my Rave CD's are lost somewere in the home office :unsure:

Oil pipes in and out of the ZF box are M16x1.5 I think, definately M16. I asked this que when sorting my cooler and Mr Ashcroft provided the answer, a search might turn up the thread (excuse the pun).

I went for a 34 row cooler as it's up against the bulkhead (space limitation up front with engine cooler and winch set back) so doesn't get much in the way of cold air. With a 9" fan on the back pulling around 600CFM through the cooler it doesn't get above 80°C off road and only goes slightly above that under hard road use, 3rd gear long hills or 3rd gear country roads.

I'm sure everyone else will say go for a laminiva, and to be honest it might not be a bad idea, but I wasn't convinced about it on a V8 that may not have much reserve cooling capacity, unlike a diesel. Also the plumbing issues put me off too, didn't want it in the heater line, if fitting one I'd want in after the rad outlet.

Edited to add...

Here is the thread.

and here's some pics of mine...

red60.jpg

red59.jpg

I'm looking for oil coolers but my truck is in Bounmouth so I can't take any dimention off it and I want better cooling for the auto box generaly

1) Anyone know the oil cooler fitting size as it exits the gear box flow and return

2) what is the ideal volume for a cooler to carry for good cooling ??

3) while I asking anyone know the fitting sizes for a 4.0-4.2 V8 oil cooler engine flow and return

Thanks if anyone can help and no my Rave CD's are lost somewere in the home office :unsure:

As a guide, at Billing, Tomcat motorsport had a very nice 24 row 230mm wide auto transmission cooler with an ally shroud and 150mm fan, Paul said that when they had had warranty issues with auto failures, gearbox suppliers checked on the size of oil coolers fitted and had no complaints. The whole set up was very expensive, prices for the cooler matrix were nearly double that of Think Automotive or Merlin Motorsport. I think you could comfortably half the price, by sourcing the main components yourself.

Andy

IIRC 24 row coolers come in around the £100 mark, and my 34 row one is £150 from the likes of Demon Tweeks (yeh I know they aoin't exactly cheap) and Merlin, although I picked it up off ebay in a used but as new condition for about a 1/3 of that. When you add on the cost of a fan the Laminova doesn't look quite as expensive.

Jules,

Check mine next time you are down there.

I use an engine oil cooler from a 101 (i think it is) with its own dedicated fan which comes on with the engine fans.

I have an oil temp gauge for the gearbox and it rarely does anything other than get warm - even at Kings Worthy!!!!!!!!!

Nev

got a 43 row mocal cooler.

works fine - never had a overheating problem since mujst try really hard for the oil to even reach 80 degrees celcius

was told the bigger the better since you can't 'overcool' the ZF's

oil is staying nice and red now, used to have to change it after every major off road trip