wiring looms

ibexman

The standard Disco loom is a nightmare as it has provision for every available accessory. :blink:

I stripped mine out of the 300TDi and removed every redundant wire, -- Sunroofs x 2, rear A/C, adjustable headlights, heated seats, airbags, anti-lock breaking, and reduced to to the bare minimum, I recon I saved around 200 meters of various sized cables and at the same time made it easier to trace by using muli coloured cables and re-drawing the wiring diagram. :i-m_so_happy:

Certainly a case of keep it simple!

The old one-size fits nothing component then.

A couple of year sback I decided to fit foh lights to the wife's Fiesta as it had all the wiring and the mounting points moulded into the bumper.

Only when I Pulled the dash out to fit the switch did I discover that the engine bay loom was form the high series with all the toys, but the dash loom wasn't, so al though the fuses and relays are fitted under the bonnet there is no wiring to the dash and the only way to fit it is canibalise another loom and rebuild the multiplug.

It's anoying for owners but for manufacturers it makes sense, less parts to stock, control, design etc and farl less parts to carry as service items, gie=ven that they have to keep them for 7 years IIRC and most try to keep parts for 10.

Yeah, basicly that was my experience, when I first aquired the Disco I discarded the Anti Lock Braking system -- totally useless on Australian outback roads when a Roo jumps in front of you at over 90 k's -- the brakes wont lock up or give any brake function when you're driving or sliding on powdered bull dust that has the consistancy of fine talcum powder, the other was the air bags, I decided that Julie would be better off with the non air bag grab handle.

In removing the excess wiring I found I saved numerous relays, simplified the aircon system and saved excess fuses. Incidentally I intend utilising a front and rear ALB sensor to operate an old Terratrip I have from my old rally driving days, it may as well get used and the distance function over 10 kilometers should be accurate to around 1 centimeter!