Defender Workshop Manual

Boydie

Where can I get one? I have a Series 1 Discovery 300TDi. built July 1998, first registered in Australia January 1999. The engine is a 23L. with a ZF 4 speed gearbox.

The CD I have is totally useless as far as manuals goes, as is the Haynes, for example it doesnt give any tollerances as to how to set up ( for example) shimming the back-lash on the three differentials, by comparison my Diahatsu Charade Manual gives them as well as the (several) optional differential ratios that were available and thats just for a Japanese "Shopping Car"!!

On top of this the CD doesnt have a single wiring diagram, which would now only be a valuble referance as I've totally rewired it removing all the unused cables for the miriad of options that were available, sun roofs etc.

Used or new I'd love to get my hands on a proper detailed "works" service manual, is there one available or doesnt such an item exist?

Thanks for that but being a anally retentive old fart I'd like to have a manual I can hold and write inane comments in the margins, are there works manuals available in hard print and if so from where do I order one?

The Rave CD, if that is what you have, is the same as the print manual. If you want hard copies check out Britpart who I think do hard copies of some, but not sure if they do the one you want.

The Rave CD does have wiring diagrams on it but they are rubbish!

you can get the rave disc for free,

it has many pages and would cost a lot to print off, but would proabably still be cheaper to do this and stick in a file than to buy a hard copy,

my series 2 manual (o got for free) should have cost around £70 as its brand new.

I'm looking at Ebay and Amazon, there are manuals in Amazon, 2 to a set, Mechanical and Electrical but the cost is outrageous at $440.00 :angry2: but if that what it costs I'll have to pay for them, I was kind of hoping someone would have an old used set somewhere lonely and unwanted in exchange for some folding stuff

Ah ok - wasn't sure with your your topic title - i have a defender one spare but am keeping my disco one since I've recently

They do come up on ebay - I got a more or less new one for £12 -a bout 25-30 aussie dollars. They are available buy it now for £50?

Good luck.

Steve

The most "common" one I've come up with is a Land Rover Discovery publication Number LRL 0079. From the sales blurb this seems to cover the engine, transfer box, differentials and the ZF4HP22 Auto, do you (or anyone else) have this publication and if so is it complete, for example there is a specific back-lash on the ZF input shaft that is achieved by shimming, does it give this dimension and does it have exploded diagrams.

In the new year I'll be pulling my box apart, I'll take snaps as I go and publish it on the site. After that I'll pull my spare 300TDi engine out of the back of the shed and re-build it to optimum tolerances.

Oh, and then it will be a round Australia trip that should take the best part of 2 years.

The most "common" one I've come up with is a Land Rover Discovery publication Number LRL 0079. From the sales blurb this seems to cover the engine, transfer box, differentials and the ZF4HP22 Auto, do you (or anyone else) have this publication and if so is it complete, for example there is a specific back-lash on the ZF input shaft that is achieved by shimming, does it give this dimension and does it have exploded diagrams.

In the new year I'll be pulling my box apart, I'll take snaps as I go and publish it on the site. After that I'll pull my spare 300TDi engine out of the back of the shed and re-build it to optimum tolerances.

Oh, and then it will be a round Australia trip that should take the best part of 2 years.

I'll have to look, haven't needed that bit - I've an R380 5 speed - i'm at work at the moment so will look between now and the weekend for you.

Steve