Shafted Kam Help

Hi fellow landy fans,

I recently purchased some HD Kam front shafts online. Not from Kam I must add. These have a Bearmach sticker and packaged really well as I suspect Kam would have supplied them. They are the 24 32 variants.

My question is:

Is there any way of telling if these are genuine Kam shafts opposed to someone putting std shafts in and packaging them accordingly?

I have a batch code 111985 19/09/07.

I am suspicious as all the Kam shafts I have ever seen have the diff end splined along way up the shaft and the ones I have are only splined for about 60 or 70mm. Also because there is another set for sale and his pictures show the long splined section opposed to what I recieved.

Can anyone help me confirm they are what they are?

Honestly bud, i would never deal with Kam again. sorry to be blunt, but the backup you get from them (now) is a disgrace. It's hard enough to get a return phone call out of them, never mind a shaft ! My last one i waited about 2 or 3 weeks. I'm currently waiting for another, dont know, 3 weeks so far i think... I can't be arsed to phone them to get some sh1tty excuse about how stock is still stuck in customs etc !

:(

Go ashcroft !

G

The crazy thing is Ashcroft is a 2 mionute drive away but these shafts came up for just over £100 pair Second hand but still new packaged. I have emailed Kam and I will phone them today. It's nothing that they have done they were not bought from them direct. My mate is currently waiting for stub shafts for hi mota so we will see how long they take to come.

I really need an 18mm 4 pin cross shaft and gear set for a p38 diff center hopefully Kam will sell me one as nobody else has them for sale. Some bright spark put 15mm gearset in a 18mm carrier

I like Steve USED to work at KAM

Yes KAM did some 32/24 shafts, they were discontinued as they broke - in fairness they are stronger than standard shafts, but the effect of waisting down the shaft to et to the 32 spline size was a no hoper. They were NEVER EVER made in "Aerospace", and I think nobody makes them now, KAM Stopped, and I am not sure if Ashcrofts ever did, but defo not now. You could have made them out of superunobtanium and they would still break, its the size at the 32 ebnd. Pic looks KAMish :lol:

My advice to customers when asked about these was not to waste their money on them save it and upgrade to 23/24 stuff, then the world is your oyster

HTH

Nige

im going to send an email with the pictures and see what they say,but ive been trying to buy another KAM locker for my front axle for the last few months,still havent even had a definate price back yet,ive lost track of how many times ive rang and when i do get through all i get is "if you leave your name and number someone will call you back" or "send us an email and we'll email you back with a price" or "were waiting for them to come in",i get the impression (i may be wrong) that they cant even be bothered to sell me a product so i dont hold my breath getting anywhere with the shafts,its a damn shame really as im really happy with my rear KAM locker and think its a great bit of kit but im starting to think about fitting a different locker in the front axle,especially when my mate rang up and ordered an ashcroft air locker tuesday,got all the advice he needed and it was delivered thursday morning,

i'll let you know if i get anywhere with the shafts though ;)

Nige

Hi-tough still do aerospace stuff

They took over from Maxi Drive and bought up all Mals stuff. Barry who runs Hi-Tough used to work for Mal. They are across the road from where Maxi Drive use to be.

On the Gold Coast

I have bought a set and sent some to Jules in the past.

(null)

• 1 month later...

yep i can vouch for that,these were after 1 outing running 33" fedima scirroco's,although credit where credits due they didnt break

025ti.jpg024rql.jpg

i thought it was only fair to add an update to this thread,these pictures were taken around 3 months ago and today ive finally removed these shafts to replace,i decided i wasnt going to replace these shafts untill they broke but they havent broke,nor have they twisted anymore than in the pics 3 month ago,around a month ago i fitted a brand new set of 35" silverstones and the truck has been used almost every weekend in the 3 month,offroad in anger,to be honest im quite surprised and as i said thought it was only fair to mention this

the shafts are out for good now and are being replaced,exactly as you say it was allways in the back of my mind what could happen should they break,just thought it was only fair to mention what they'd stood up to.

still not had no reply to the pics i sent to kam though

i know what you mean but to be honest im just going to cut my losses,personally i really like the KAM lockers and im more than happy with the one in the rear,and as you know ive been holding out for another for the front,but all this has put me off,ive since sourced and fitted an ARB locker in the front along with ashcroft shafts/cv's (although i did break the short shaft yesterday but i bought them second hand not knowing what use they'd had so totally accept responsibility),i will be ordering a new shaft along with a pair of rear shafts from ashcroft in the next day or so. its a shame really but from a buyers perspective i think customer service is just as important as the quality of the product and ashcroft tick both boxes