Private numberplate

Phillis

DVLA is generally the cheapest I found, I purchased mine from an independant & got charged for new reg plates & some other admin charge. A 500quid plate turned into 850 in the end. Only buy if you intend to keep the plate on the vehicle for more than a year or 2 as transferring plate can become expensive to mere mortals. Removal of plates can be complicated if tax has lapsed or no mot for some time. Check the DVLA website for a comprehensive insight.

Honestly wish I never had mine bought for me(fathers day pressie) its can be more trouble than its worth & consume money & time, if your not a 1 vehicle kind of person.

When I bought my first ever new car the registrations offered to me were odd to say the least.

Having learnt the hard way that having odd combinations of letters causes mirth I decided to get my own. The intention was to get any cheap plate from the DVLA site but found that the plates with my name on were cheaper then those without.

So I ended up with my name on my plate and a slightly older year letter then the car. I paid £80 for the transfer, in 2001, plus the cost of the plate which was only a little more.

If the plate you want is 'new', in other words owned by DVLA then it is by far the cheapest to buy from them - otherwise the agency buys it from them, adds on their cut and then charges you! If the number is owned by an individual then you have to buy it from them directly or through their agent - who is usually the one advertising it.

I have a private plate, currently held on retention as my present car is too old to use it - the car has to be older than the number if it is an age related plate.

Chris

If the plate you want is 'new', in other words owned by DVLA then it is by far the cheapest to buy from them - otherwise the agency buys it from them, adds on their cut and then charges you! If the number is owned by an individual then you have to buy it from them directly or through their agent - who is usually the one advertising it.

I have a private plate, currently held on retention as my present car is too old to use it - the car has to be older than the number if it is an age related plate.

Chris

Do you not mean the car has to be newer than the number? :P You can't make a car look newer than it is...

I bought an old English plate from a private seller for £300, 3 letters and 3 numbers, they don't mean anything to me but they make my 15 year old £2,500 Jaguar XK8 look like 20k worth of car now it's not on a P plate

If you're just after anything have a look on the free ads sites loot preloved etc, Irish plates are dirt cheap as well , they have a Z in them, usually 3 letters and 4 numbers

The comment about keeping the car is right though , that £80 transfer fee gets a bit wearing if you change it a lot

This subject always provides me with endless amusement when I read private seller's claims that the number 'looks like' ....... What a load of b......s in most cases - the only way the claim could be true is if (a) the buyer has no imagination of their own & (b) don't mind the risk of failing an MOT or getting pulled by the plod (when they can be bothered) for having illegal spacing of characters on the plate. I'd love a personal number but a 'proper' one would cost five into five figures so I'll have to leave it! To me owners who go for these artificial groupings of digits are, far from attracting the envious looks they crave, simply telling the world in general that they want a personal plate but can't afford one.

Original questions? Yes, they are normally the cheapest. DVLA price normally includes all vat and £80.00 transfer fee.

I've had a few plates over the years and would never buy through an agent, always try DVLA first, or would do private sale if plate was right.

I know some people have opinions about cherished number plates, and others rave about them. Just go for it if thats what you fancy.

If you do plan to change vehicles in the future, £80.00 or £105.00 transfer fee will almost certainly be a lot less money than vehicle depreciation so don't lose any sleep over it.