White smoke / timing again.

Frax

Well just about finished my rebuild and have got it in such a state that I was able to get it out for a run :rolleyes: , well started it and it white smoked :huh: – reversed it out and left it ticking over till it heated.

The smoke cleared so off I set, down the road I went and as I looked in my mirror all I could see was more white smoke :angry: , throttle response was also pretty poor. :(

I did fit a new timing belt which was checked and double checked. :mellow:

New head gasket also fitted and torqued as per the book.

Back into the garage and have now removed the radiator and all required pulleys so tomorrow timing cover will be coming off again once I get the crank shaft pulley key out which does not want to move

What a pain, any thought on what I have done wrong, might be obvious when I get the cover off, I hope so.

Regards

Frax

Are all of the pump settings factory standard, and did you check the smoke screw? You're probably right, and it's probably a tooth out on the timing - but it's best to start with the basics and work from there.

Which one do you call the smoke screw? Its only your right foot that makes an engine smoke.

Well just about finished my rebuild and have got it in such a state that I was able to get it out for a run :rolleyes: , well started it and it white smoked :huh: – reversed it out and left it ticking over till it heated.

The smoke cleared so off I set, down the road I went and as I looked in my mirror all I could see was more white smoke :angry: , throttle response was also pretty poor. :(

I did fit a new timing belt which was checked and double checked. :mellow:

New head gasket also fitted and torqued as per the book.

Back into the garage and have now removed the radiator and all required pulleys so tomorrow timing cover will be coming off again once I get the crank shaft pulley key out which does not want to move

What a pain, any thought on what I have done wrong, might be obvious when I get the cover off, I hope so.

Regards

Frax

Head gasket or timing could be causing this..

Did you slacken the 3 clamping bolts on the injector pump while you had the pin in to hold it still? If your a tooth out on the injector pump it probably wont run. Cam is the likely culpret..

If its head gasket then you may of caught it slightly while putting the head back on... Asuming the head and block were clean and FLAT.

Well it was one tooth out on the timing, I checked and double checked this when I did the job but just goes to show you cant check it enough.

Thank you for all the replies, back up and running and as sweet as a nut.

IMAG0171.jpg

Another website that doesnt know what its talking about... Thats the low fueling adjustment.

OK....I've thrashed myself with a birch branch for using the wrong name (that is, by the way, used on lots of different websites) and will in future use your name (which returns 4 results from google when used in quotes).

However, if the "low fueling adjustment" is set incorrectly the engine can produce lots of smoke.