1984 truck cab brakes locking

Ian Barrett

Guys,

I took a neighbours X reg truck cab out for a spin today while looking for an engine oil leak, and on the way back I had to abort my left turn into his (very wide) drive and nearly ended up through his fence and into his garden.

The brakes he tells me have just been overhauled at a cost of £400 so I wonder if they are all like this or if his back street garage has done something silly.

there is a very firm pedal, but it seems to do hardly anything then until the rear brakes lock.

Its only 5 years older than my 90 but it feels very agricultural in comparison. Are the brakes really in a series really supposed to be as unforgiving as this or is there something I can quickly check?

Oh and please don't have me looking for hours, its pigging freezing and his heater doesn't work either.

. or his speedo

. or his dash lights

. or his screen washers

bloody cheapskate farmers [rolls eyes]

Thats very very wrong...my SIII has 11" TLS fronts and 10" SLS rears, she will stop incredibly quickly! Sounds as though there is a blockage to the front, or a squashed pipe maybe? What size brakes does it have, at '84 it should have the same setup as me as mine is an '83

Thanks for the info guys, I couldn't believe brakes could be that bad so its good to know LR really didn't produce something this rubbish.

I'll check out the size of the brakes and if the servo is working and get back to you.

excuse my ignorance but what does TLS and SLS mean?

On the front axle you should see a brake pipe connecting wheel cylinders top and bottom of the backplate, check these are a) fitted and b) not squashed.

Not quite sure how a non-functioning servo would show this symptom, but happy to learn. My understanding was that a servo just made it easier, but never having driven without one - the first time is immenient!

I'm trying to decide whether really really bad adjustment would do this but I don't thing it would, not if you're getting a firm pedal.

One thing I can say for sure, he should be taking it back to the garage and getting it fixed for free, especially at a cost of £400 for brakes that most deffinatly are not working properly! If they won't fix it to a satisfactory standard, then its trading standards and another garage to say what they've done wrong! That sounds very dangerous and shouldnt be on the road!

FridgeFreezer, ejparrott and Retroanaconda thank you very much.

I now understand a TLS setup and although it doesn't look particularly complicated I can see how someone not familiar with it - such as maybe the guy at the tyre shop who did the £400 refurb - might have easily got something wrong.

I'll check all this looks correct tomorrow and report back on what I find.

they shouldnt be that bad at all except maybe if its non servod. or if the servo has failed. simple way to find out. pull the servo pipe off the servo and see if it sgets worse, if it does the servo works if theres no change the servo needs replacing

• 5 months later...

UPDATE:

We finally got the truck on axle stands this weekend and pulled the brakes apart.

We found:

New brake shoes all round

New cylinders here and there.

OSF brake was working perfectly

NSF had the bottom cylinder seized although it was fairly new - because of a split rubber.

OSR was full of axle grease so a failed hub seal is diagnosed.

NSR was working perfectly.

So the car was braking with OSF and NSR only. No wonder is was locking and squirreling about.

New bits on order and I'll update you on the results.