Series V8 Conversion Exhausts

minivin

13.8.063.JPG

that doesn't look particularly sound to me - won't the thin sheets of steel fracture prety quickly? :huh:

I have somethinig similar but pretty sure the rubber strap is bolted directly to the mounting on the chassis - no metal flexy bits.

Can you not use one long rubber bit that goes all the way to the chassis bracket and it would make the offset for the exhasut clamp thingy less - thinking what you can use - how about a section cut from the tread part of a car tyre?

Well the front pipe went on ok:

DSCF2411.jpg

Problem is I don't have a bent silencer:

DSCF2412.jpg

Seems they ignored me saying I had a 109FFR with left hand exhuast exit, and have possibly sold me a right hand exit pipe, but it would be close to the axle so "crunch" when ever I use the full capabilities of the parabolics :huh:

To top it off, because the pipes at the compression joint don't allign properly, you have to have them only two threads on two bolts supplied and have to find a longer bolt to do the third position, and as you tighten it the pipe goes against the chassis......

DSCF2413.jpg

..... and then doesn't mount to the hanger rubber and touches the chassis through the hole:

DSCF2414.jpg

I am now totally disgusted in this kit, £250 wasted as I'm struggling to find any part of it I can use :angry:

I used the front section and then made the rest up from scratch. Easy enough if you can weld.......

Jon

I can't weld, therefore I'm ballsed unless I get it trailored or drive it with an illegal lack of an exhaust system to an exhaust manufacturer's in the Salisbury area.

I'm going to bolt the offside manifold on tomorrow night and get the offside pipe on to the Y piece and then take it from there with SP once I know the full facts on how the exhaust system sits, if it comes out that I can use the Y piece and the rest is poop I'll get the rest returned to them and once the truck is road worthy get it over to Janspeed or Maniflow or somebody who can finish the exhaust system for me :(

EH????

How can you own a landrover and not be able to weld??????

Especially with your background!!!!!!!!

Come on man - take evening classes like HFH is doing if it comes to it! Its not that hard........

IIRC with the V8 front pipe fitted a standard series rear half will bolt up to it. Admittedly its small bore but it works - I ran mine like that for a few weeks till I got round to sorting the exhaust! Ok so mines a SWB but it cant be that different!

Jon

i doubt if there is a system on the market which will just bolt on perfectly for a conversion.

aftermarket exhaust for a standard normal car always seem to need a tweak here and there to get them to fit.

aiy, slight tweaks, but when the tail of the intermediate pipe would be 100mm out of true if let to sit in it's correct flange seating point, with no chassis in it's way to shove it in another direction, something is fundimentally wrong, £250 is a lot of money for a kit that is wrong and being 50mm pipe it aint easy to bend correct unless you got a pipe bender, and cutting and re-welding is most definately a major flaw if required:rolleyes:

Latest installment, Y piece don't fit!

Got the main piece alligned with how it needs to be for going rearwards, nice gap around it to clear chassis, seat box et cetera:

DSCF2415.jpg

nicely square for the transition to the other side, sweet:

DSCF2416.jpg

fit second pipe and it doesn't allign by a good inch:

DSCF2417.jpg

Unfortunately with such a mis-allignment if I clamp up the middle joint and force the pipe onto the manifold it will stress the welds and the vibration will cause the pipe to fracture in the future, I may be able to releave the bend on the second pipe to get it alligning with the manifold, but the flange is already not square and that will make it sit even worse.

Have just phoned SP and they are getting back to me to discuss the issues, hope they got a cheap rate service :lol:

FFS simple :

Join me on a TIG Course ? :lol:

You'd be ok if you could weld......... :huh:

Coat

hat,

door,

Forum fishing rod,

Forum keep net,

bullet proof kacks,

boots,

beer,

Viz Mag,

Take away curry

more beer and goodbye.....

Nige :P

No, just a simple thing like making something off a jig correctly would go down fine, gash gits :P

In fact thinking about it it's a bit two faced on this forum some times. Happy to slagg off Scorpion racing for supplying inferior kit, yet another manufacturer who supplies inferior kit gets away with it because people are happy to pick up an angle grinder and welder and fix the blatant errors that have been built into it, rather than get onto the company and tell them it's cr@p.

Thats why everyone on this forum told you to buy the Jake Wright once cause its the only one that actually fits!!!!

Sorry......

Jon

nowhere does it say it fits and this one don't, and the only person who said anything about it fitting was RogueTrooper, who said it didn't fit and he had to cut it and fit a flexi joint on the Y-pipe :hysterical:conversion exhaust thats a nuts and bolts job to bolt up to the range rover cast manifolds. is exactly the same as the SP kit, no differentiation on whether one "fits" or doesn't, go check the topic and your see http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=7155

Rob,

I don’t think I have ever known any ‘off the shelf’ exhaust system to perfectly fit (or indeed just ‘fit’) any conversion. In my lifetime I’ve done many engine conversions and the exhaust is always the job everybody dreads ……….. that is why we leave it till last ! :rolleyes:

My conversion is V8/LT77/LT230 into a 90 …… now, you would think that was easy to provide an exhaust for…………. I do believe that nothing ever came out the factory in that combo ………. Yes, ok , several 110’s may have done ……. but not 90’s. The standard 90 V8 exhaust sort of fits but I needed to shorten the rear section by 3 inches….…….. also the old OEM V8 silencer was way too restrictive for my engine spec. The first system lasted me 3 years (40K) but now needed attention before the MOT. Luckily I have a very friendly parts supplier nearby, so I spent the weekend under the 90 armed with a whole pile of various LR exhaust bits that looked like they might do the job.

Even with all this around me, I ended up using a standard fat fryer early rear box/tailpipe and then had to construct and weld up a replacement pipe to fit the centre box section ……… I’m pleased with the result although tis a little loud. :)

Yeah, 250 nuggets is a lot of bread ………….. and, TBH, not a price that I would have been prepared to pay as experience tells me that it probably will be a bodge fit, and secondly it will be scrap in maybe 2 years (especially if you do short runs with it).

Hey, I’ll set you a challenge …………. get summit like the common fester or Pug……… and go get 4 different aftermarket exhaust systems …………… I guarantee that one of the aftermarket systems will fit maybe ‘sort of’ OK (but not even approaching perfect) and the other three will be miles out ……… hell, this is a standard system and they cant even get that right :rolleyes: ………. what fecking chance do you stand with a ‘non standard entity’. No, the only real way is to get under there with a bunch of pipes, angle grinder and mig ……… that way you will end up with a well fitting exhaust that meets your expectations. ;)

Ian

yup, have now given up with this system and just phoned Torque Technique at Wilton to have a full stainless steel exhaust system made up on the truck, they think they can fit it in on monday onwards, going to use this system to retrieve the loose-flanges (the slidy three bolt one's) off and that saves them the hassle on those, 1/4" thick I don't foresee any issues with using those items as the truck will rot before the flanges rot and let-down the exhaust system.

lets worry about bolting some bits back on the truck rather than the exhaust for the moment

Rob,

Just reread my post and it sounded a bit condescending :( ………. Sorry, it wasn’t meant that way ……… just trying to be helpful………. and to stop you re inventing the wheel. :P

Yes, I get my flanges (Ohhhhhhh I like that word :D ) from old systems at the local independent ………… they go on for years……… and it saves sooo much time. At the weekend I cut up a new silencer just to reuse the ‘bell ends’ and flanges for my ‘home brew’ centre section.

Yep……… custom build is the way to go. ;)

Ian

no probs I read it for what it meant :) hopefully some good stuff will come from using Torque Technique as I've been planning to get a new exhaust system made for my racing motorcycle for a couple years now, low system has the propensity to ground-out on tight corners, so fancy a high level exhaust which'll also give me some clearance for the rearsets

gallery_91_40_1059385.jpg

£500 inclusive of VAT for full stainless system from rover manifolds flange to tip of tail on the truck, only precurser is that I supply some second hand flanges to cut down on the time that they would have to spend making or sourcing flanges :)