Air box to carb - is this correct?

Ian Barrett

Guys,

I've been working on my farmer neighbours X reg petrol landy again tonight and replaced the rocker cover gasket as it was leaking at the front and the fan was throwing the oil all over the engine bay.

Farmer Geoff told me it has also been very difficult to start recently, whereas it normally starts on the button.

So I had a look at the carb and found the air hose connecting the air filter to the carb is attached to an aluminium ring which was then just a friction fit onto the top of the carb.

The friction isn't very tight so I suspect the carb was sucking in the oil making it difficult to start.

Is this friction ring the right way to connect the air hose to the carb?

Thanks for your continued help with sorting out this bag of nails!

Ian

I've had a look in the parts manuals I could find online and the bit I'm talking about is a connector/converter which is between the hose on the end of the air intake (part no 554418) and the top of the carb. But I can't find any such connector/converter in the manuals.

Does the small connector hose (554418) normally attach directly to the top of the carb with a jubilee clip? This is how I'd expect it to be or surely you will get air leaks.

On my '81 petrol it had a large oil bath filter on the left hand side (facing the engine). Across the engine was a long heavy flexible rubber tube - wire supported. This was held on to a "Swan neck" elbow that turned the air flow 90 degrees.

This was attached to the carb by way of a short rubber pipe - 1 or 2 inches, if I recall.

It sounds like FG has a bodge on the top of his engine, poor abused series.

Everything is the same as yours Gazzar, just that the short rubber pipe - thats the part number I quoted above - isn't attached to the carb directly like I would have expected. Its attached to this converter thing which is just an interference fit.

I'd say it was a bodge too except for the quality of the converter thingy.

I think I'll have a word with him, remove it and see how it goes without it.

Mine looks like this (though a bit cleaner these days!). It's a Weber carb (34 ICH), but I think the rest is standard, though with a 40-yr old vehicle who knows?

post-10578-0-03628600-1324502103_thumb.jpg

The bottom jubilee fell of a year or so ago, been meaning to replace it for a while...but not got around to it yet. Elbow just pushes on and seems to not have fallen off yet!

There is a metal ring on top of the carb if I recall correctly, which seems to be some kind of adaptor between the carb mouth and air-filter elbow.

Blimey, you all woke up !! :lol::hysterical:

Retroanaconda, it was a site you recommended previously which had manuals on which I was looking at yesterday and where I got the short hose part number above from.

Your setup in the picture looks very similar, except the hose in your picture which is directly behind the one with the blue clips on is I think the one which is connected to the brake servo over by the air filter.

The carb, air filter and associated hoses look the same otherwise.

An adapter ring sounds very plausible. I wonder if it was a bit more 'attached' in years gone by and not intentionally just an interference fit?

From memory the adapter ring (lets call it that for now) is chamfered inside. Its possible that once fitted nice and tight you wouldn't necessarily notice it was even there when you removed the rubber intake hose.

Its certainly a PITA to fit as the hose no longer wants to be friends with it. I suspect a new short bit of hose might be in order so we lose the memory effect.

If it were my vehicle I'd replace it with silicone, but I'm sure FG would have a fit if I told him he needed to spend £10 on 4" of silicone hose :angry2: