speed problem

Jim1

I know a chap, who used to be a mechanic who was surprised at the speed my 110 was able to go, saying that his 300 90 would only do 50mph before the engine was 'tearing itself to bits'. I drove his 90 and it seemed happy to me at over 70. I think it just comes down to what you think is a happy engine noise.

He still thinks it only goes at 50!

Si

I want to be able to cruise at 60mph without the screaming and rattling. Talking to different people/mechanics I get from over revving and valve bounce to scrap it and get a new one. I new I would need to change T/Box at some point but was hoping to use it in the mean time as shes road legal just can't get on motorway until sorted.so unable to travel to far to play in mud.

When i first got got 300/90, i drove it 300 miles home, that was the most it'd travelled in about 2 years due to being only used as a mobile display unit for the national trust, on the motorway home i struggled to get it to do more than 55 ish..... having now used it quite a bit and done a fair amount to it, it will now do 90 odd......... occasionally..... there is a small chance the engine may be very underpowered...... maybe the fuelling is wound right down.... maybe the cam timing is out...... does it have a cat in the exhuast..??? these and lots more factors will limit the speed of the vehicle............

Hi had it out again this time 50 in high ratio. Sreaming, Pumping black smoke (warning from police) lack of power up slight incline.All seals between snorkel and intercooler broken must be from vibration. No cat, no silencer only expansion box at rear. Mechanic checked timing and fuel delivery says these are ok. Diff ratio according to book is 3.54, T/box is 1.66 or 1.4 not sure which yet. My knowledge is coming to an end will have to take to landrover garage and pay there rates soon (not happy)

something is clearly not right............. have you had an oppurtunity to check that the turbo is working, it almost sounds like you're not getting any boost, esp with loads of smoke and no power..... if it really was screaming at 50, then a slight incline with proper power levels should be a doddle..... sounds to me lie the turbo ain;t workin!

Its difficult to check turbo function without a boost gauge, but if you remove the inlet pipe you should be able to spin the intake rotor... severe lack of power would incicate that it might be siezed.... plus, if the inlet pipe is not round, there's a small chance that it might be collapsing under vacuum and causing the engine to be starved of air....

If your floors aren't bolted down and you have no insulation/carpet, you will get a lot of noise coming from the gear/transfer box and engine which will make it sound a lot worse than it is - get all this bolted down and fit some mats before you go changing engines.

Even a 1.6 transfer box will get you comfortably towards 70 with 235/85/16 tyres at a reasonable engine rpm, though 60 is more suited.

have you checked your speed with a GPS, or are you going off the speedo (which can be miles out)?

Check oil levels in gearbox and especially the transfer box - they leak like sieves and can get low or even empty without too much trouble, and that will cause a lot of drag in the drivetrain - also makes a lot more noise - I always knew when my old tranny box needed topping up as it started screaming more on the motorway.

My old non-turbo 90 with a 1.6 transfer box would get to over 60 on the motorway, so if yours can't then somethings wrong - check everything that should have oil in does, you aren't leaking turbo pressure (check hoses, and the small tube that comes from turbo to the fuel pump - if this is split you lose pressure), check someone hasn't tried to alter the fueling and goosed it up, check air filter!

Its difficult to check turbo function without a boost gauge, but if you remove the inlet pipe you should be able to spin the intake rotor... severe lack of power would incicate that it might be siezed.... plus, if the inlet pipe is not round, there's a small chance that it might be collapsing under vacuum and causing the engine to be starved of air....

You should also be able to see the flexible pipe section on the turbo outlet expand when you rev the engine. Another problem could be your turbo wastegate may be stuck open, this would also stop the turbo doing anything useful. However if you are getting lots of black smoke that would possibly indicate the turbo was generating enough pressure to activatethe injector pump diaphragm that gives extra fueling when on boost... so maybe a blockage/collapsed pipe between turbo and inlet manifold? or a knackered inlet manifold gasket? or leaks in pipes/ intercooler.

I have a 300tdi and I fitted a rev meter as the term screaming was a bit hard to quantify for me, I wanted some real way of measuring.