3.5 V8 Tappit noise

Team Idris

3.5 V8 Tappit noise has been done to death I recon :)

But I wasn't expecting it on my new build with new RPI tappits that match my piper 'max torque' cam shaft with vernier sprockets (Oh yes, the full monty)

Weirder still is that it does it on a rear one, on the left bank at 1300RPM? Fine at tickover, and above 1500. Does it when at 1300 and momentarily when coming back down from higher revs.

I got it hot today just to see if that would clear it, as it started doing it after not being run for a few weeks. When I first ran it after the rebuild I only got rocker squeeks, which I fixed with a dab of greece. It does it at various oil pressures from 50 down to 40psi hot or cold.

iwas thinking that this tappit must have been the one compressed while standing and is having trouble coming back up? But why not knock at 800 rpm?

Isn't this a feature of the tappets ? I'm sure i remember reading about them being noisey at idle....

Someone else on here runs fancy tappets (i'm on new crower cam and fancy gears etc, but normal lifters). Is it bowie ?

Or maybe it's the RPI factor :lol:

I'm assuming you're on rhodes lifters ?

Edit : http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2481&sid=01c3297a09ca6ee894972cbf98eac7c1

This might seem really stupid, are you sure it is tappett noise? I was about to dismantle mine when I relaised the noise I was hearing was loose outlet manifold bolts that alllowed out cylinder noise when pushed a bit. Tightened them all up - magic! Old V8 now on engine stand in garden now though, iszuzu in its place.

Oil; Just for change I'm doing it right and have 20/50. (As opposed to diesel engine oil in everything)

Have I been silly and relied on the supplier to 'sort me out' ?

Apart from the squeek of dry push rods (I should have remembered that one) it was running great before. Even with beer for petrol ! (nothing lasts anymore) And this isn't a nice noise at all.

I'll have a fish about tomorrow and see if I've caused somthing. It is of course, the rocker box which barely came off before I added the extra pipe work..........good job its rubber gaskets :)

I looked at the handed thing. But they are both tubes with wasted bolts?

Thats a problem after a few hours running though. This is more like a tappit not filling up problem.

I think this will be the order of things;

Remove rocker box an check push rods.

If they are okay I'll run it and listen.

If I can isolate one or two tappits I'll use a greecy push rod to pull them and swap them to the other end of the engine.

While I'm doing that I'll study the profile of the push rod domed profile.

If the noise moves, we have a winner. (Or difinative looser)

It'd be nice if I'd missed a bad push rod from my new donor engine (worse than old one in many ways) rather than get into a mess with tappit warranties.

I can see why solid lifters are popular :)

OOoooh it's winding me up now. I pull the rocker box and have a look about. All looks good. I rotate the oil pump with the 4th rocker shaft bolt removed. Oil issues so freely its off over the exhaust manifold. So re-fit bolt.

I run it up and it is sweet. Then it starts squeeking again.

Bad landrover :(

Once it de-fumigates down there I'll remove the shaft and inspect the rockers and push rods.

Yes

Prior to coming back on line I'm doing the washing up and thinking; that drilling through the rocker arm probably has to be in line with the holes drilled in the shaft?

Unles they are in the bottom, or the very top?

The heads arn't handed, and have two oil ways drilled through, so It makes sence the shaft assemblies are handed. And I don't think there is enough oil about. Normally running without the rocker box on an engine rust proofs everything. I'm not seeing that much oil.

But Rosies now borrowed both my wooley hats and it's cold and wet down there :(

No Idea where the first one is...........

Found it !

And wore it !

The page says; "Each rocker shaft is notched at one end and on one side only. The notch must be uppermost and towards the front of the engine on the right hand side, and towards the rear on the left hand side".

Which basically means the rocker-shaft-assemblies arn't handed, but the shaft in the assembly is.

When the rocker is operated the shaft oil hole lines up with a cross cut channel in the bottom of the rocker arm. I guess its there to let some oil fly about?

The push rod seat oil hole is offset, so kind of gets a little oil. But going uphill, its hard to see how it gets any?

Greecing the push rods blocks up the holes, so I blew them out with the compressor.

All I can see is that the bottom channel looks shallow?

Apart from the typical wear of an old engine I cant see anything wrong with it.

Oil everything and rebuild I guess...

Not really. Just don't know whats wrong with it?

We suspect it would have been less of a problem on 10/40. Upon cold starting lots of oil would have made it to the rocker assemblies and sprayed everywhere. And lets face it, warm oil is a further away than normal with two gallons of the stuff in circuit!

(Maybe 20/50 isn't right for this dry sump application)

The tappit noise must have been a speck of dirt in an internal valve? It went as abruptly as it arrived.

Our assumtion is that a good workout out will throw some oil about and all will be well. Afterall, it starts and runs okay, so the actual buildup looks to have taken.

Monkey trumpets :angry2:

We recon I'm looking in the wrong place. (I was getting suspicous) I don't think we are at DEFCON "Coffee Table" yet, but we suspect a bad tappit. It was squeek, then knock, then squeek again. That suggests one part failing.

I've sent an Email to RPI asking for advise, but I supect it is a manifold strip off anyway. Lets hope the block is okay.............

I've gotten around to joining the V8 Owners Forum and a good source it is too. No answers for me, but a bloke has the same noise on a vid he posted there. If only he said how he fixed it :(

Anyhoo, the engine looks a bit naked now, as i've got the tappits out to stare at them. Which as you know, means a lot of stuff is now stacked up everywhere on oily rags. I can see where the dipstick has been clipped by somthing (probably crank balencer) and I want to believe it is the problem. But as its drowning in oil down there, that is probably wishfull thinking.

One poster on V8OF mensioned little end, but the pistons and rods have done 10 year in the other engine so crossed fingers it isn't that.

The cam isn't free to end-float more than a tiny bit, so I guess it isn't that either.