TRO on the Fosseway at Easton Grey - old news?

Turbocharger

I spent a very greasy day out laning today, but was advised that the Fosse is now closed at Easton Grey. Sure enough, a little Googling confirms it was TRO'd and gated in June 2011. A great shame, another example where the mindless few have spoiled it for the responsible majority, and apologies if it was discussed here and I didn't see it.

The issue is that this is one of the few points on the Fosse with a gradient, and a bridged river crossing. However, some mindless off-piste driving has cut up the areas either side of the ROW, and led to some people fording the river at this point too. Since it's a SSSI and a former Roman settlement on a named Roman Road, this obviously drew disproportionate attention from the authorities. They tried notices, fences, concrete dragon's teeth - all to no avail.

It's a shame that they couldn't have used the type of voluntary or time-bounded TROs that have worked so well in the Peak District, Lakes or in south Wales, rather than closing the route permanently and with gates which will require maintenance. Sadly the track record at the site has shown that even concrete will just get winched away by the mindless few.

This is a temporary closure according to the Wiltshire CC website, and it has been close/reopened before. The underlying issue remains though, even though fences were used before to clearly mark the allowable route, people simply drive through them and the river behind them. Such a shame as this is one of those 'perfect examples' that can be used against all 4x4's usage even though it really is a minority causing the damage.

• 3 weeks later...

The clowns down there dont care. I had a word with a couple of lads in £100 disco's, they didn't care. said if it was siezed (section 51?) they would 'just buy another one'.

and all this when Minety P&P is less than 10 miles away with Foxham a further 10 miles.

I haven't been up there in a long time, probably 2 years ago in my 2a lightweight.

G

It's a shame people feel the need to do this, I used to drive the Fosse regularly and have seen people trashing the SSSI several times. The hens teeth have been dragged around the river and the banks heavily damaged. At the first ford coming from Kemble, I've even watched people winch a tree stump out of the way so they can trash a farmer's field!

I'm not sure about Foxham, but Minety has been shut for over a year now http://www.minety4x4.co.uk/index.php

Harry

would a permenant brick (not drystone) wall not be best? as poeple would move rocks, concrete, but if its a wall?

then again who knows these poeple might even take the wall down and fit their own gate. why cant they just stick to the lanes?