series 3 front brake upgrade

smokeyone

I need to do the swivels as well - I just didn't want to get started and then find out I needed such and such parts as well which were either unavailable or a silly price ...

When I did mine I just bought a complete pair of corners real easy to swap and covers everything you need including swivels.

I may have missed it, but no-one seems to have mentioned a disc brake conversion.

Not cheap, but well worth it. Rocky Mountain and others do various kits; I've converted two and they now stop, reliably and in a straight line. Always.

You will need a servo unless you want to put both feet on the pedal. Theoretically it upsets the front/rear braking balance, but I have not had any problems.

I am now standing by to shout "Incoming" and dive into a trench for posting the above herecy.

It's been mentioned dozens of times. If you look in the tech section there is a detailed write up on how to do it.

Some people prefer originality others don't like messing about with brakes.

Some insurers are fussy about such things and the kits are very spendy.

I may have missed it, but no-one seems to have mentioned a disc brake conversion.

Not cheap, but well worth it. Rocky Mountain and others do various kits; I've converted two and they now stop, reliably and in a straight line. Always.

You will need a servo unless you want to put both feet on the pedal. Theoretically it upsets the front/rear braking balance, but I have not had any problems.

I am now standing by to shout "Incoming" and dive into a trench for posting the above herecy.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=22910 my take on front discs............................

Balance is fine with rear drums as well..............

G

• 5 years later...

you can fead the front TLS cylinders by  using the lower blead nipple with the brakingpipe from the master cylinder  then fit a link pipe to  olsothe upper cylinder   you must have the blead nipple at the top cylinder ,And whilst your at it change  to the non water absorbant brake fluid also in case you do  go for  disk brakes  you will have to fit longer wheel studs   Whitch is a  simple job  IE drive out the shost studs  best done with two hammers  1 hamer on the stud  and hit with hamer no 2 less chance of missing ,To fit longer studs place hub on upturnsd drum with long studs partley in place  and use the same 2 hammers to drive them fully in place This way when you come to put the road wheels on you have not got BENT STUDS yours  THE INOVATER