Tie rod ends

rick

Thanks Ralph and Harry,

BTW I didn't realise you could get greasable Lemforder ones without drilling them yourself.

I'll ask my parts importer about them.

my last set of joints where fitted with grease nipples & came in genuine Lemforder boxes, got them from my ace local LR parts man.

Do they make much difference to the life of the things as against those with out, plus as a few of these are taken off road

and abused, what chance of damaget to the grease nipple?

Or is it just personal choice?

Probably not much difference in life.

I've replaced the boots at least twice.

I washed the carp out of the joint with brake cleaner and packed as much CV joint grease in as I could and installed the new boot and the tie rod ends are still original @ 285,000km.

The only joint I've had to replace was the drop arm ball joint.

My feeling about ones with grease nipples is that it is a sign that the seals are not up to the job of keeping the grease in and hence the mud out!

If it does it's job, it should never need greasing - no?

It applies to UJ's too.

You can see it with GENUINE UJ's in particular and TRE's as well that the seal construction is very different to even 'OE' ones fitted with a nipple.

Si

Very true Si, although as mentioned I've gone through several sets of boots on TRE's so far.

One vehicle I had (Ford F100) still had original TRE's and uni's at 500,000km and the boots were carp, but regular greasing with a decent (not brilliant) grease kept wear at bay.