PTO with an automatic

mat2495

I do, i've previously ran my h14 with a manual i now use an auto. The winch is now very different animal.

With the manual you can let the engine idle in gear and it will retrieve cable, with the auto you have to have some revs on otherwise any load on the winch slips out the torque converter at idle.

This means i am pulling harder and faster than perhaps i'd want to be.

Also it's easier to pause winching on the manual by dipping the clutch, on the auto you have to select neutral this somehow seems to take longer and require more "thought".

Another little annoyance is, selecting neutral in the transfer case is awkward with the auto especially after the 30th time in a day.

It does pull very well on the auto though and i really like the way the gearbox will change up a gear when the load come off the cable.

Howdy.

Not all mech winches have that, our König winch with worm 1:6 ratio can be pulled out by hand if pto is not engaged or main box is in neutral, but I guess that 1:36 wich is more normal will have sifficient brake power.

Now if you look at the Viking winch Soren at his friends have just finished there ar not brake power at all in neutral, but I can imagine they are already working on that.

Ole.

Hi the only concern I would have is the heat being generated by a constantly slipping Torque Converter, and as the vehicle is stationary (well almost) little cooling flow, you may need to beef up the oil cooler??.or fit a fan assisted cooler. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Thanks for the help guys, I certainly hadn't considered the extra awkwardness of taking the transfer box in and out of neutral. What is the best option for an oil cooler for the box? do people still use the standard ones, or run a pair, or is their a decent aftermarket option?

dirtydiesel, when you say that you have to increase the revs or the torque convertor slips, does increasing the revs cause it to change up gears as well as the load from the winch can't be too great, or do you not have to increase it that much?

Now I just need to decide whether I should go auto or stick with manual.

Hi the only concern I would have is the heat being generated by a constantly slipping Torque Converter, and as the vehicle is stationary (well almost) little cooling flow, you may need to beef up the oil cooler??.or fit a fan assisted cooler. Regards Ian Ashcroft

The torque converter only slips when the engine is at idle with load on the winch, as soon as you pick the revs it takes up drive,

I have a 12" square cooler on mine, to keep the box happy.

dirtydiesel, when you say that you have to increase the revs or the torque convertor slips, does increasing the revs cause it to change up gears as well as the load from the winch can't be too great, or do you not have to increase it that much.

I only have to go to around 1200rpm, when there is load on the cable ie; recovering someone it will stay in first but if they gain traction and the weight comes off the cable the auto will change up as the load comes off, then back down again when the load come back on.

I find the effect similar to a cvt

HI The Torque converter slips until lock up occurs, not talking about stall speed, I mean TC clutch lock up, this is never in 1st or 2nd, can lock in 3rd on a Disco II , but normally only in 4th. hence the heating problem. Regards Ian Ashcroft

Hi DD

What do you do when you have to stop winching on a steep hill ? How do you stay there, does the winch have enough brakepower ?

Morten

Just select neutral, the gearset in the superwinch h14 are whats called "self locking" this is due to the lead angle of the gearset and the (relatively) high ratio.

The over run on my from full throttle to neutral is less than half a drum rotation, at ordinary winching speeds the drum stops instantly.

The worm and wheel are geared 39:1 in a h14.

Howdy.

Not all mech winches have that, our König winch with worm 1:6 ratio can be pulled out by hand if pto is not engaged or main box is in neutral, but I guess that 1:36 wich is more normal will have sifficient brake power.

Now if you look at the Viking winch Soren at his friends have just finished there ar not brake power at all in neutral, but I can imagine they are already working on that.

Ole.

I have to correct myself it is not 1:6 but 1:9 sorry

Ole