Panhard Rod Mount ?

tuko

Finally got my Landy in the garage to begin the power steering conversion and just had a telephone conversation with a guy who said that you "MUST" have the Panhard rod mount on the same side as the steering box. Is this true??

Damn this is going to cause some very serious issues for me as I'm using a P38 steering box on a RHD series 3 Hybrid that is built on a Designa coil sprung chassis.

Just thinking, could a person turn the panhard rod around so that it's facing forward on the same side? Of course I realize that an adjustable panhard rod would be in order if this could be done ??

Appreciate your input.

Cheers,

Todd.

Ahh yes, you'll end up getting weird steering when you go over bumps as in effect you're making a rigid system - so the only "weak" point in your new rigid system is the steering arm and sterring itself so when your suspension extends the steering rod will "effectivly" get shorter and cause your truck to veer to the right, and the opposite when compressed... so going over road bumps at a fair speed could be rather dangerous.

So you have to keep the steering arm and panhard rod in the same diagonal direction.... if that makes any sense to you...

Mav

Disappointly thats not the answer I wanted to read.

Living here in Sweden, I have to figure out how to get a RHD Defender type (4bolt) and shipped here, all within a very tight time limit. Nothing like some stress, eh?

Todd.

I'm a little confused, and as I have a 109 due for PAS conversion, very interested! Would it be possible to have some pictures of what we're talking about? I know what the Panard Rod is and what it does, not sure what we're talking about with the bracket pointing which ways though :blush:

Erm...

The PAS steering box and the Panhard rod must attach to the same chassis leg and be as parallel as possible in order for the wheels to not self steer as tha axle moves up and down.

I think...

Hadn't though about this till now but thats basically the point.

On a typical UK (RHD) vehicle the panhard rod is attached to the chassis on the right hand side, as the suspension compresses the axle will move to the left and as it lifts it will move back to the right (adjustable panhard rods are used to correct the axle position for a raised or lowered vehcile).

Since the steering rod is also attached to the right hand side of the vehicle this will move through the same arc as the panhard rod so the steering will remain in the same place. Vehicle manufactures will work out the arcs of travel so this remains the case for normal driving, moving steering components can mess this up so needs a bit of thought.

As Maverick has pointed out if they are attached on opposite sides of the chassis then as the suspension compresses one will push the axle one way whilst the other pushes the steering the other way. So every time the vehicle hits a bump it will try to steer itself, the bigger the bump the bigger the steering effect.

I'm a little confused, and as I have a 109 due for PAS conversion, very interested! Would it be possible to have some pictures of what we're talking about? I know what the Panard Rod is and what it does, not sure what we're talking about with the bracket pointing which ways though :blush:

Yes,

Here is a picture of what the guys are talking about.

post-194-0-01637900-1327400868_thumb.jpg

You can see the panhard rod mount fouls with the pitman arm from the power steering box.

If I may ask another question, I'm scouring the internet for a 4 bolt power steering box and does it matter which style pitman arm that it has? I understand that the drop down arm has the ball joint built in and it's a real bugger to change therefore I've read that many have changed to the Discovery straight type that does not have the ball joint.

Todd.

Apart from the bumpsteer issue, I dont even think that the panhard going the other way actually fits; They would need to cross each other around the middle of the car. Is your RHD? In that case, a LHD 4 bolt box is probably your best bet, fitting it outside the chassisrail.

Daan

Erm...

The PAS steering box and the Panhard rod must attach to the same chassis leg

Apart from the bumpsteer issue, I dont even think that the panhard going the other way actually fits; They would need to cross each other around the middle of the car.

I was under the impression that the Panard Rod was always attached to the same side as the steering box, hence my confusion!

I was under the impression that the Panard Rod was always attached to the same side as the steering box,

Thats what I didn't know. :( My plan was to move it over to the other side so that I had the clearance for the swing of the pitman arm. Lesson learned! :rtfm:

Now it's to figure out which 4 bolt steering box to buy and begin chopping into the galvanized front cross member.

Todd.