What does this black wire not connected to anything do?

B reg 90

Hi,

I have a random wire that is not connected to anything at the front of my 300 tdi engine. Just done the timing belt and replaced the rad . At the end of the job I noticed it, but i didn't disconnect it... so where the f**k should it go and what does it do?

Engine starts and stops as it should.

Ta,

Adrian

post-659-0-49216500-1327273336_thumb.jpg

get a multimeter, and check the continuity between that terminal and the chassis. its more than likely going to be an earth, and the multimeter will show very little resistiance (and probably beep)

if it is an earth, i would connect it to the block even if it wasnt before as you can never have too many earths (might be fine now, but if another earth goes bad it might be the only thing keeping the engine going?)

Just that I checked the 300 tdi defender engine loom on mine and there is no black wire at that point in the loom. Of course that doesn't mean a disco engine loom doesn't have one. Hence removing the comment after my Doh moment.

The wire looks long enough that it was going to the alternator (ring terminal also might hint at alternator) but there is no black wire on any ring terminals on alternator, also checked the wiring diagrams and couldn't see one. So maybe it's a later addition, the crimp connector would also support this ..... so depending on previous owners 'style' it might not be an earth ..... maybe it was on the 'W' terminal of the alternator? Does the tacho still work?