To Oil-Cool Or Not To Oil-Cool.....

I don't have an oil cooler.

Engine running a little cool at moment and in the summer "week" it's bang on 88 degrees.

I do have an ali rad which I hope helps somewhat, but don't have a temperature problem. Oil changes every 3k and jobs a goodun.

Neil

I don't run one, RRC's didn't, P38's look like they do. I think LR special vehicles tended to fit them to V8 defenders when there's a chance they can be stood round for long periods running (EG with PTO driven accessories).

There is a risk to over-cooling the oil, not a massive issue but there is a happy operating point for your oil and if you run it too cold all the time you lose some effectiveness & lifespan. Many oil cooler kits come with "oil stats" in some form.

I think all 3.9 and above ran them. Disco and RRC 3.9 and above ran them and possibly 3.5 Disco. They weren't fitted to 3.5 RRCs.

Having said that they used the radiator side tank type which are, IMV, more of a heat exchanger, keeping the oil at around the same temperature as the coolant so on cold days the oil is heated faster up to operating temperature.

I've always used a TD Defender radiator with my V8s. They have a side tank oil "cooler" and are the biggest standard radiator LR produced. If you want to see a pic of one I have a 2 year old one in the back garden that I took out of Pam's 90 over christmas.

I run a 13 row on my 110csw with a 3.9 I also have a Aussie HD rad , had no troubles when towing my 35' caravan in Oz in 40C + , at those temps V8 esp working hard in sand get a bit marginal in standard set ups eg rangie , and disco auto . Oil cooler seems to be very good at dumping heat , eg VW engines

I would see how your vehicle temps go without , you can always fit a statted one after , if summer long high speed runs prove marginal , oil temp, or pressure guage would be good , as these engines are relatively low pressure from new JMHO