Two blown starter motors......@rse

This mormomg i was all ready to change the PAS and water pump on my 300tdi.

But like everything it was not as simple as that. Turned the key starter motor threw solenoid, turned over but no fire. took key out and the starter eas still tring to turn the engine. Ended with burning smell from battery.

The starter motor was shot the braided feed from the solenoid to the starter had burnt through.

So off I went 30 mile round trip to get a new one.

Fitted it, reconnected battery fizz and a bang it was toast too without even turning a key. I think ir mst have shorted out on the hoysing....

New unit defiantely dead

Result a very cold and now thououghly disgruntled LR owner. With no way of fixing it til Monday...

The old starter was about a year old and a Velco unit. It certainly took a big load to burn through the braided coonector betw the solenoud and starter.....

What do yiu think was the cause of all this ?

Could be the ignition switch. If you get loose connectors in there, the starter keeps on spinning even if you remove the key and you have to be quick to disconnect the battery. I had this happen on my last car - nearly set fire to the vehicle by the time I cut the battery off.

Les.

The only thing that makes sense to me is that altough starting fine yesterday afternoon - the PAS pump bearing noise I was going to fix this morning turned out to be the alternator bearings and it hasnt been charging the battery.

This may explain the weak cranking - but not the continuation of the cranking once the key had ben removed

sound like a battery fault low battery voltage high current might have jammed ur starter relay on due to burnt contact tips and as soon as u fitted the new starter and connected the battery tried to start and fried the new starter due to massive current. have seen starters burnt out like this but usualy not instantly like you discribed takes a few times then goes. is the starter system ok... apart from the motor.

The ignition lights and glow plugs all still work

As do the other electrical stuff like lights, indicators wipers etc all ok

So apart from toasting the starter motor and solenoid the rest looks to be ok

Will hopefully be able to test the battery in mates 90 today..... To check its not boiled

So the plan is to get another new starter, new ignition switch to be on the safe side and try again

Am i missing somethimg?

Well....... Its definately not the battery as it starts my mates 90

Also checked the ignition switch and relay .... The exciter wire to the solenoid gets a consistent 12v when key is turned to crank position

The fly wheel is freely rotating when rocking the truck in gear

Which leaves me at a loss as to why the problem arose...... Could it have been the -10 C freezing the starter solenoid in the energized position?

Could it be the works or demons ?

So the plan is to get another new start motor tomorrow and try again...... And if it continues to crank without the key in the ignition the plan to to whip out the starter relay

A complete weekend lost.....

I agree - but I am struggling to know what to do next ......

the thing I do know is the 2nd new starter motor did short out as the constant live feed to the solenoid fowled against the outer casing of the solenoid where there was a metal stud - and it blew the contact. So that one is down to me.

But why the orginal and first starter burnt out and continued to crank after removing the key )leaning tpo it burning out the brading feed bwetween the solenoid and the starter) remains a mystery

sounds like the original starter welded the solenoid contact tips together . as the feed side for the starter has a constant +12 from the battery even with the key out it would continue to crank until the battery was disconnected. this could be down to the motor armature or brushes being worn or burnt drawing a high current through the solenoid.

I took the orginal starter to piece tonight.... Its about a year old

Apart from the burning thro of the braided connector between the solenoid and starter it look fine. solenoid plunger nice and clean. No welding of connectors everything freely moving.

Came across this thread below which describes a Merc drive going thro 3 starter in 5 days..... Turned out to be water getting into engine through via coolant system. Basically water was stopping the engine turning over.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/110548-starter-motor-keeps-burning-out.html

I really hope this is not whats going on with mine....... I know i have a small water lead via the P gasket but nothing major. No mayo in the oil cap etc

But i have an uneasy feeling that this might be it...... Although it does not account for the slow cranking after the ket was removed

Am i worrying unecessarily?

Update : engine can be turned over by hand without any problem; all earths checked, ignition etc all fine.

New starter motor fitted, turned over, fired and started first time on the button !

So - I got to thinking as to why the orginal starter burnt through.

Should the solenoid engage and disengage independently of the connection betweent the solenoid and the starter. My small brain tells me a solenoid is only a mechnaical switch and once energised it 1/ trows the dolly out to engage with the flywheel and 2/ completes the circuit to start the starter motor.

What I found on the bench test was that it would only do 1/ and 2/ if the braided connection between starter and solenoid was made. And without this connection the dolly did not move at all.

Is this how it should operate ?

The solenoid does 2-things almost simultaneously. When you turn the key - the piston inside the solenoid flies fowards and engages the started dog with the flywheel. At the end of it's travel the piston also connects the battery main live cable to the starter motor itself, which then spins the engine.

Les,

Thanks Les

So in theory there is no reason why, if the solenoid was not connected to the starter motor, that the solenoid would not engage the dog because as you say it does 2 things almost simultaneously and they are not dependent on each other ?

BTW - looks as though I won't be needing your Disco 300TDi engine !

Edited by cypermethrin

I would be leaning towards the ignition switch. I had the same problem with a britpart one that I fitted that left the starter engaged. Did wonder why it felt sluggish!

A push button start removed any risk of it happening again.

H

Thanks Les

So in theory there is no reason why, if the solenoid was not connected to the starter motor, that the solenoid would not engage the dog because as you say it does 2 things almost simultaneously and they are not dependent on each other ?

BTW - looks as though I won't be needing your Disco 300TDi engine !

as long as your supplying its earth and lives,

some times the teeth on the flywheel and on the starter get damaged and that can keep the starter engaged,

but if your finding the main motor of the starter fine and the soleniod not working its unlikely its a ignition switch or damaged teeth as both of them wreck the main motor bearings or seize it, sounds like just a dud solenoid