Series III front end alignment

BFRieck

I need (I think) to have the front end aligned on my Series III (Ex Mod 109 FFR). Can anyone supply me with the caster/camber and toe-in/toe-out specs? Are there any other specs needed or quirks to doing a front end alignment? Chances are the small town shop I'll use will have seen few, if any, Series LR's.

Thanks.

Series 111 owners manual gives the following:

Front wheel toe-in: 1.2mm-2.4mm.

Camber angle: 1.5 degrees.

Caster angle: 3 degrees.

Swivel pin inclination: 7 degrees.

As far as I know only the tracking can be adjusted though, the rest is set by the axle and thus fixed. That said my 88" always looked like one front wheel had a different camber to the other.

Tracking meaning toe-in, correct?

The tires that came on it looked to be original (Goodyear bias ply mud-grips stamped "made in Morocco"; can't remember the date code but they look to be at least 20-30 years old). One of the front tires was badly cupped, one was nearly new, the other two were pretty well worn, but evenly, and the spare was worn but didn't match any of the others. However, The truck is an ex MoD (Series III, FFR 109) from South Africa, only 9,000 km on the clock (believable based on appearances, wear, etc.,) so I'm guessing a random set of tires was fixed when it was de-milled and sold on. How does one check the swivel bearings and what life should be expected out of them - can't imagine 9,000 km would be enough to wear them out.

Jack up one corner, place on axle stand for safety, as always. Grab wheel at 12 and 6 o'clock and rock. there should be no appreciable play - but! knackered wheel bearings can catch you on this :blush: so get an assisstant to check where the movement is. When i checked my 88, there was distinct movement and 'clunk'. the green bible has a section on replacement and adjustment of swivel bearings.

Thanks so much everyone. I'll be trying to tend to this on the weekend. Hope it's not any of that stuff and I REALLY hope it's not all of it! How unlucky would I have to be to have bad wheel bearings, bad swivel bearings, AND a bad steering relay - especially when I think I have a little used truck!

The kingpins are adjustable if play is small - there should be shims under the steering arm and the top cap .

I'd be inclined to pull the top pin with the wheel off and the hub/outer swivel hsg supported and check the railko bush and thrust pad , these do wear or break up if left dry thru lack of use - its splash lubed as the driveshafts rotate in use

cheers

Steveb

I just got back from spending the weekend messing with the Series III at the ranch. I couldn't find any play either direction in the front wheels so I am assuming the wheel bearings and the swivel bearings are okay. Got it out on the highway and drove it all of 63 mph (I think that's top speed, no?) The tires were dusty when I started and the dust was cleaned off quite evenly across the face of all 4 tires - steering doesn't pull either way - tracks nice and straight. I'm hoping that means all is well, although I still plan to get the toe-in checked at first opportunity.