Free wheel or not, as the case may be

When i jack up the offside front on my defender 300tdi 110, i cannot turn the wheel manually, it is trying to turn front prop, but as the nrside wheel is on the ground it wont allow any movement, but i can if i engage neutral on the transfer box, or jack up both front wheels i can move them freely, one going forward, one going backwards. This i believe is quite normal,

This is now where i think it gets weird,

If i jack up the Nr side wheel, with the offside on the ground, i can manually turn the wheel, thus turning front prop, this is with the transfer box lever in high/low ratio or neutral.

The half shalfts are all ok.

Am i going crazy or is this how it is meant to be,

I thought each front wheel should only turn if the oppisite front one was in the air.

When i jack up the offside front on my defender 300tdi 110, i cannot turn the wheel manually, it is trying to turn front prop, but as the nrside wheel is on the ground it wont allow any movement, but i can if i engage neutral on the transfer box, or jack up both front wheels i can move them freely, one going forward, one going backwards. This i believe is quite normal,

Agreed

If i jack up the Nr side wheel, with the offside on the ground, i can manually turn the wheel, thus turning front prop, this is with the transfer box lever in high/low ratio or neutral.

Sounds like the transfer box isn't properly in high or low, does the car drive in this situation? Is the main gearbox in gear?

I thought each front wheel should only turn if the oppisite front one was in the air.

Or the prop is turning....

But with the main box in neutral? This is what one would expect. With the TFbox in neutral you turn the wheel, the wheel turns the shaft, turns the diff, turns the prop, turns the middle diff connected to nothing as the TFbox is in neutral. Simple. With the TFbox in high or low you also turn the TFbox, turns the gearbox output shaft which turns nothing as you are in neutral. If you put the main box in gear then you also turn the clutch and the engine. See?

Chris

Ok, It seems like the problem has gone now, somehow, both front wheels will rotate now regardless of whether the opposite one is on the ground. it doesnt matter if you are in neutral or low/high ratio.

With the main box in neutral you should be able to turn any wheel on its own, as Chris has described.

Your situation will be down to some kind of resistance with the o/s wheel I should think. Either at the hub or somewhere else, I've often found that one wheel will turn easier than the other, and it seems to swap about with a high degree of variability.

Ok, It seems like the problem has gone now, somehow, both front wheels will rotate now regardless of whether the opposite one is on the ground. it doesnt matter if you are in neutral or low/high ratio.

This is correct. with one front wheel in the air, the centre diff is allowing the rotation. If you put it in difflock, you will not be able to rotate the tyre/wheel that is off the ground.

Regards,

Diff.