90 Brake Pedal Travel After Fitting New Front Calipers

Hi there,

I hope this post is in the right place...!

I've got a 1995 300TDi Defender 90 thats done 160,000 miles. I've just replaced the front brake calipers due to a) a bleed nipple sheared off and b) pulling to one side during braking.

I've got the calipers on and bled the system through 3 times but problem is that the brake pedal travel is a good bit more than it used to be.

I'd say its between 1/3rd and half way down when the pedal goes rock hard. Its really disconcerting to drive compared to how it was.

Pads and discs are existing, done about 5000 miles and in perfect condition.

When pressing the pedal the front pads lock onto the disc but when the pedal is released the pads seem to be very loose in the calipers (both sides). Is this normal? On other cars, i normally expect the pads to stay relatively firmly against the side of the discs when the pedal is released.

I think this could be what's causing the excess travel on the pedal.

Anybody got any thoughts??

Many thanks, Ian

The pistons and pads shouldn't really move away from the disc at all - merely stop pressing on it, so that if you turn the disc by hand there will be a rubbing noise as the pads are still lightly touching the disc.

Sounds like something is sucking the fluid back - perhaps a master cylinder problem.

Les.

Les, many thanks for your reply.

The pads are definately withdrawing from the disc.

I have read that the bleeding process can cause an old master cylinder to finally give way due to moving the seals further than they have for probably many years. Do you think this is a real possibility?

Regards, Ian

SEB500440 and SEB500450

Non-vented discs, they were in Britpart boxes but very clearly Lockheed parts (you can blatently see where all the lockheed and AP logo's are ground off)

I have had cheap brake parts in the past (from another well known blue and white box supplier I think) with the OE makers name also cast into the part. Now call me cynical, but this appears to be from where the OE parts have been used to make the mould for the "Cheap Chinese Casting Company". In your case it sounds like the letters were badly ground off before the mould was made. I rather suspect that if Britpart could sell OE brake parts for £2.50 they would be shouting it from the rooftops, not grinding the name off to make it look like a cheaper part.

Sorry to rain on your parade. The callipers you have bought may be just fine.

Chris

Righto chaps, thanks for the replies on this.

I bought a new master cylinder (Lucas one), fitted it and bled the brakes through. One of the rear bleed nipples gave up during bleeding so I bought 2 new rear calipers and fitted those too.

I've re-bled the brakes countless times but the pedal travel is still way more than it used to be, my leg is well stretched out when i'm pushing it down.

The real point for me is that the front pads are still loose in the calipers. I'd say theres between 0.5mm and 1mm on both sides. I can jiggle them around in the caliper. When the pedal is pushed down the pads are locked onto the disc and the pedal is hard, doesn't sink with time.

What ever could be causing this???

I so need to get this sorted so I can use the car again.

Cheers, Ian

I've finally sorted this.

I went outside and 'exercised' the new calipers by taking the pads out and pressing the brake pedal. I then pushed the pistons back far enough to slot the pads back in and hey presto, its working perfectly now so I guess the moral of the story is that the calipers (both of them) needed some persuasion to get going.

Cheers, (a very happy bunny) Ian

What irony, I also have exactly the same symptom after replacing all four callipers this week. I will have to get them 'excercised' once the rain stops... During bleeding, and with this thread in mind, I was surprised how far the pistons retracted once the peddle was released. Perhaps I should have used more brake fluid during assembly?

Chris

not wishing to teach anyone to suck eggs, but you do have the bleed nipples at the top don;t you...????? lots of people fit them on the wrong side and wonder why they get a soft pedal......

ooooohhhhh how easy that is to to - did rear discs, pads and calipers on my old disco once and couldnt figure out the problem. took 2 litres of fluid till i gave up and limped to garage, and yep on wrong side. never make that mistake again!