Britpart 3.9 V8 Camshaft

mr_s

Has anyone had any actual experiences with Britpart camshafts? I know a lot of their stuff is toss, but I'd like to replace the cam on my Disco and Britpart are the cheapest (and yes, I'm aware that I'll need to do the followers too ;) ).

For not much more money I could have either an Allmakes or Bearmach cam, any experience of these either?

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for the links, but I was after anyone who'd had actual experience with them (good or bad!). I note the turner engineering site doesn't say who manufactures their camshaft so it could well be a britpart one for near double the price of other sources!

My head says 'go for a reputable source' such as Piper or Kent, but my wallet disagrees, and if I can get a cam that's adequate for my needs (I don't use my cars that much, they're just toys really!) for £40 odd then all the better :D

Cheers, Martin

I'd be thinking on the lines:

How can anybody accurately machine a cam for £40.

Would be interesting if somebody bought one & a "quality" brand measured them accurately & examined the metallurgy.

I may be sceptical but until someone does that I'd walk away after all If a cam shaft broke it would probably cost you a whole lot more than the difference in cost of the cams.

Just my thoughts.

Given how much Britpart stuff is utter rubbish, I certainly wouldn't trust them to make something as important as a camshaft properly.

Echo Turner Engineering, they're local to me and I've used them a number of times. I would highly recommend them. I've not found many companies quite as particular as the Turners are about quality. You will be met with a friendly yet professional service, and they'll be happy to show you their work.

They are also very competetive on price. The last thing I purchased from them was a V8 oil pump drive gear, to replace a new Britpart item that was so badly made it didn't even fit into the pump housing. (I think the BP QC department is non existent!)

Price was the same as the BP item from Paddocks.

Thanks for all the input and recommendations - like yourselves, I'm highly sceptical of the Britpart cams and I probably will avoid them. However, I'd still like to hear if anyone out there has actually used one! On the other hand, if I do decide to get one, I'll get the micrometer out and measure it up to see how it compares! Anyone had any problems returning Britpart stuff if it's not up to scratch, provding that it's unused?

As the 'budget' Turner Engineering cam they advertise is only £60+vat (the Kent H180 is £204 + vat), I have my doubts about where that one is sourced too. I'll perhaps give them a ring next week and have a chat about it!

Cheers, Martin

Thanks for all the input and recommendations - like yourselves, I'm highly sceptical of the Britpart cams and I probably will avoid them. However, I'd still like to hear if anyone out there has actually used one! On the other hand, if I do decide to get one, I'll get the micrometer out and measure it up to see how it compares! Anyone had any problems returning Britpart stuff if it's not up to scratch, provding that it's unused?

As the 'budget' Turner Engineering cam they advertise is only £60+vat (the Kent H180 is £204 + vat), I have my doubts about where that one is sourced too. I'll perhaps give them a ring next week and have a chat about it!

Cheers, Martin

Well it wont be Britpart, thats for sure, probably OE manufacturer

Atter recently stripping down two 3.5 RV8's with wrecked standard cams I wouldn't be fitting anything but 'good' cam parts :)

The bits of metal that got through the strainer and badly scored the inside of the pump housing and on one, jammed the relief valve open. So I've put the piper max-torque in.

And a duplex chain :wub:

Though is probably going too far ?

Cheers, Martin

Martin - take it from me, you have absolutely nothing to worry about with any part from Turners. If you think their price is cheap, it won't be because the part is rubbish. They are very highly regarded among those who know. Have you taken VAT into account?

I have no affiliation with Turners, just a very satisfied repeat customer.