Sounds like an Ass, braying.

David Sparkes

I've been looking, in a half-hearted way, for a roadworthy Series 2A, headlights in grill, 109", Full Tilt.

I found one in December, however the owner appears to have changed his mind about selling, but irritatingly, without telling me - anything at all. He is too far away for me to go and look in his eyes.

So, I've carried on looking, unsuccessfully.

Time has moved on, I've found nothing, so I've started relaxing my specification, even to the extent of looking at Series 3s, with their plastic dashboards etc.

I saw this "Classic tax exempt 1972 Land Rover series 3 109. V8 engine.Pick up back with bikini rag top. 2+1 seats.Full MOT".

It looked pretty, I wasn't going to do a lot of miles in it, so I might be able to stand the V8 fuel consumption.

Cannock is only 50 miles away, so close enough to view before offering money.

There were only two pictures,

a front three-quarter view 118714990.jpg

and a side view 118717696.jpg

I emailed to ask for more pictures, and more words.

After that I looked again at the side view, where there is a lot of air space above the tyres. Well, perhaps it has parabolics on, so I look more closely, to see the rear half of the spring is missing!!

It was after I worked out the answer to that riddle that I heard the sound of an Ass!!

'Mandi' has replied to my request, with a suggestion I phone 'Chris' (number supplied), but I don't think I'll bother. Sorting out a "tax exempt 1972 series 3" isn't the sort of project I wanted.

I'm smiling, but I've obviously still got something to learn about reading adverts!!

Cheers.

Looks like it's had one of those coil spring conversions that were available, where two training arms pick up on forward spring hangars, and then there is a middle linkage to a bolt-in crossmember. Then the coil mounts bolt onto the chassis.

If that is the case then it's not necessarily a reason to walk away, unless originality is your thing, but it's something that you'd want to make sure was fitted properly!

It is coil sprung. There were early professional conversions that used the standard chassis with spring turrets welded on, using a cut down leaf spring as radius arms. It wasn't particularly common, but I haven't heard of any major issues with it. The time scale of when these alterations used to be done was well before the new DVLA points rules were introduced, so it wouldn't affect the VIN status at all (nor would returning it to standard).

Always check over modified vehicles very carefully, especially on things like chassis alterations, suspension, steering and engine conversions. On engine conversions, the problems are often poor wiring, bad plumbing or misalignment. Check the engine mounts carefully, too.

Those long bonnets were introduced on the SIII Stage I V8s, so predate Defenders, but it's not uncommon to find people fitting Defender sourced bonnets to Series vehicles after and engine change dictates more space. I did just that on my 109. I'm not keen on the grille panel he's fitted, but that's just individual taste. I used Defender front panels too because they're easy to come by and look alright, but if you can source the Stage 1 V8 grille, it would fit a Defender slam panel anyway and would retain a factory look.

While I think that unpainted galvanised bulkheads are awfully ugly, some seem to like the look. Either way, at least you won't have to worry about rust for some time.