Series II/III Chassis

Divster

The two things that spring to mind:

1) the front fixings of the tub are slightly different

2) I think there's a bearing mounting on the chassis for the IIa clutch crosshaft, you'd have to weld something on or fit a SIII bellhousing and clutch release mechanism.

The two things that spring to mind:

2) I think there's a bearing mounting on the chassis for the IIa clutch crosshaft, you'd have to weld something on or fit a SIII bellhousing and clutch release mechanism.

No there isnt, but a 2a has reinforcing gussets on the bellhousing crossmember to chassis rail that will foul a S3 bellhousing where the slave sits. :rolleyes:

a 2a box will sit into a ser3 chassis ok, but a ser3 box into a 2a will foul the gussets on the bell housing cross member.

another difference is that a 2a chassis has a boltable swivel for the handbrake mechanism but the series 3 has a welded bracket onto the chassis rail.

There are also minor differences regarding the brake line brackets. Basically you can fit the series 3 chassis underneath a series 2/2a, but you will need to do some minor fettling.

Be aware that 'technically' it isn't a direct replacement, therefore the vehicle could lose its historic status. But you'd need a very sharp eyed DVLA official to spot it.

• 3 weeks later...
There are also minor differences regarding the brake line brackets. Basically you can fit the series 3 chassis underneath a series 2/2a, but you will need to do some minor fettling.

Be aware that 'technically' it isn't a direct replacement, therefore the vehicle could lose its historic status. But you'd need a very sharp eyed DVLA official to spot it.

I have done this (ie SII onto a Marsland chassis (which is actually SIII)) and I can confirm its the handbrake, and front brake pipe mountings (where the flexi pipe goes down to the wheel) are the main differences Both of which can be overcome by a quick trip to old sod or another source of sIII donor parts :ph34r:

Good luck ! ;)