Fuel Tank Breather

Hello all

Happy Easter,

Does anyone out there in Defender Land know if there is or where it is a Breather Pipe on the fuel tank as there is a great suction build up,As when I put my key in the filler cap, the air rushes in for 7 to 10 seconds.

So if there is a breather pipe on the tank it must be blocked. this is what i think may be causing my bad engine performance as the fuel pump is fighting against an ever increasing suction.

Any thoughts welcome.

No all systems have a breather pipe.

My defender has a fuel balancing pipe from the tank to the top of the filler neck but this makes filling easier by allowing air out of the top of the tank instead of having to burp past the incoming fuel.

The breathing mechanism is in the fuel cap itself.

I believe it is possible to get a non venting filler cap, so if you have the wrong filler cap for your system then it won't allow air in as fuel is pumped out.

Assuming it's a TD5 90 there is a breather pipe, as already mentioned, that goes up into the wheel arch at the rear nearside. It comes from a "roll over" valve on top of the tank. If you look into the rear wheel arch you should see the pipe clipped vertically inside the wheel arch to the rear of the wheel.

Hi again, Yes I found the breather pipe. I unclipped it and there is a filter fitted on it, so I have blown and sucked the pipe and you can hear the air going inside the tank ? so I don't know by unclipping it the pipe has unblocked itself or something else, I will have to wait and see what happens after the next run.

Thanks to you all.

Regards

Richard