TD5 buying advice please

Wheels244

Hello All

I've done a search on buyers guide for Discovery TD5 but only found one from 2006.

Could someone point me to a more up to date guide or offer some advice/opinion please.

I've decided to change my wife's Seat Alhambra ( great car, owned for 6 years ) for a TD5 Discovery.

I'm more interested in the facelift model - which is the best spec to go for ?

When I had my V8 300 Disco, my wife wasn't a fan of the handling - I believe the A.C.E gives much less less body roll on a TD5 - is this right?

What are the particular things to look out for ?

Auto or manual ? Pro's and cons?

Had a mate with one a while ago who had to replace the flywheel with the clutch, led to a big bill - is this common ?

Will £5k get me a decent one ?

Does anyone know any decent ones for sale ?

Thanks for any help

Rob

Right!

You are correct in thinking a TD5 discovery with ACE will handle better, but i know several people including my grandad who have just had the ACE system removed due to corroded pipes. He was quoted over 1k to have it repaired, the ACE pumps and control blocks are also very expensive to replace if they fail.

In my opinion your best to find a low spec (no air suspension another money swallowing PITA) that has already had the ACE removed, although it only costs ~£200 to have it removed and "blanked".

Unlike 200 and 300 discoverys the td5 had galvanised panels but the chassis's were not treated as previous models.

TD5 disco chassis's are getting VERY rough if they havnt been regularly waxoiled. We've just had the rear chassis legs welded up to get it through the MOT 1 last time (W plate) and ours WAS waxoiled.

My grandads X reg however is fine underneath.. perhaps due to it only doing 40,000 and never out on salty roads im not sure.

I am lead to believe the DMF and clutch problems were on pre '02 vehicles, however we have not encountered any yet.

5k would buy you a nice motor, but i would have a good poke around underneath and not limit yourself to post 02 models as the facelift kit is easily obtained and fitted.

Hope that helps somewhat

Chris.

do had ours for years and it was a great car. towed really well too.

if your going for the facelift model, have a look at any way you can secure your headlights in. because they are stolen quite regularly. poeple can get at them from behind the wheelarch.

Thanks everyone.

Mind made up - we're going to get one.

I can carry out any of the work on the suspension if need be, but obviously would like it get one that doesn't need work immediately.

So now we need to sell the people carrier and start the search.

Derbyshire is a long way from Hampshire! My Disco has been great, but a new house and a lot of work required means a small euro box for me for a while.............

Chris

Does that mean you're selling one Chris or have you already sold it ?

I have a dark blue td5 auto I would sell, but it has a few niggly bits that need doing. It's a Y reg, GS model with 137k miles, air suspension but no ACE. Climate control, cruise control etc, all working fine.

It does however have a leaky power steering pump and a rattle at 2300 revs, and ofcourse, it has a leaky sunroof. apart from that, it is a really clean nice looking disco 2.

It's in Horsham west Sussex and I'm open to offers.

Cheers,

Curly

I have a dark blue td5 auto I would sell, but it has a few niggly bits that need doing. It's a Y reg, GS model with 137k miles, air suspension but no ACE. Climate control, cruise control etc, all working fine.

It does however have a leaky power steering pump and a rattle at 2300 revs, and ofcourse, it has a leaky sunroof. apart from that, it is a really clean nice looking disco 2.

It's in Horsham west Sussex and I'm open to offers.

Cheers,

Curly

Can you PM me some details Curly please.

What's the rattle at 2300rpm ?