Strange TD5 start up

Having had serious issues with my TD5 engine after retro fitting to my 300 Defender i'm having a strange start up issue.

From the beginning - i converted my 90" to TD5, completely re-wired using standard TD5 looms etc. ECU has been de-immobilised and has NO 10as unit (this is the only wiring mod). When i first fitted the engine it started straight up and ran fine - no probs. Soon discovered (within 5 miles) that the head was cracked badly :angry2: . Fitted a new second hand head and couldn't get it to run for more than 2-3 minutes. This head turned out to be cracked at the injector seats :( . THIRD head later and all is well and its been running fine since. With the exception however that it winds over for about 5 seconds before starting from cold, when its warmed up its takes about 2- 3 seconds of winding to start. As anyone with a TD5 knows this isn't right ( they start on the first spin of the starter usually and indeed it did before this third head) it has new injector seals, new filter etc, no oil in loom etc. Issue number 2 since the third head - When it starts the throttle pedal is unresponsive for about 10 seconds. It wont let you rev at all, just billows white/blue smoke and sounds a bit like its missing. After 10 seconds it suddenly wakes up and everything is perfectly normal, no misfire, no unusual smoke etc.

So, any ideas?

Thanks, Steve

Does going through the standard TD5 "fuel system prime" cycle before trying a start make any difference?

Is the fuel-pump in the tank noticeably noisy, with 'gurgling' noises or intermittent loud whining/screaming?

I'm thinking you still have some sort of leak around the injector-seals and are getting air/combustion-gases in the fuel rail.

--Tanuki.

For issues number 2, I've got a similar thing with my d2 (without the smoke). It kind of shudders for a few seconds, then wakes up and is fine. I also get avhesitstion occasionally at 4250rpm. It doesn't seem to do it with the maf unplugged, so I have replacement on order. I wonder if both your problems are maf related...

my 90 used to ploom white smoke, i could completely fog out the car park, most embarrassing at the pub, but it has since remedied itself and hasn't done it for 5 or 6 thousand miles now.

i also sometimes get insane turbo lag, i put this down to the waste-gate sticking. I heard putting WD40 on it makes it worse and a dry lubricant should be used.

The fuel pump isn't really noisy and the purge cycle doesn't make a difference. The MAF got an absolute soaking when the cracked head blew all the coolant out ( I didn't have the snorkel connected to the air box at the time and the header tank is right above the air box so it sucked all the water through the filter etc) so it could be the MAF? I will disconnect it and see. Someone suggested there is a one way valve in the fuel filter housing that may cause the poor starting or possibly the fuel pump has low pressure?