D2 ACE - replace pipes?

boaterboy

A couple of the ACE pipes on my D2 are showing signs of corrosion.

They are in a group of 4 vertically mounted pipes on the off-side of the vehicle just behind the front wheel - where they are prone to catching water thrown up from the road.

Is it possible to remove a section of pipe and replace with a new piece, i.e. as one would replace a section of hydraulic brake pipe.

Any comments / advice would be most gratefully received.

Possible, of course, but wise? I'd suggest you cost up the price of the replacement, and compare the cost of a custom replacement part from someone like Pirtek. It may be cheaper to fit original parts. I don't know what pressure there is in the pipes but I doubt that a DIY repair would be an acceptable long term solution

Oh, and I thought those pipes were covered by a plastic shield? When you sort it, take steps to prevent corrosion again!

G.

yes you can repair the pipes - but standard hydraulic stuff wont cut the mustard as the pressures are very high!

however, when mine went pop (same place you mention) i got an agricultural engineering place near me to fix it - they;re used to very high pressure hydraulics on farm machinery and had the right equipment and fittings to do a proper repair rated far in excess of the pressures ACE runs.

cost about £50 - which at the time was vastly cheaper than a set of replacement hoses from LR.

yes you can repair the pipes - but standard hydraulic stuff wont cut the mustard as the pressures are very high!

however, when mine went pop (same place you mention) i got an agricultural engineering place near me to fix it - they;re used to very high pressure hydraulics on farm machinery and had the right equipment and fittings to do a proper repair rated far in excess of the pressures ACE runs.

cost about £50 - which at the time was vastly cheaper than a set of replacement hoses from LR.

I assume by 'standard hydraulic stuff' you are referring to brake & clutch pipework?!

ACE stuff is supposed to be quite expensive, so someone like pirtek might be worth a call.