19J 2286 head interchangability

ejparrott

I'm reliably informed that the Series 2's 19J has 2286 glowplugs, if not even a 2286 head. As it now appears all 4 glowplugs are in fact dead, and could be the sole cause of the reluctance to start, it had me wondering. Are the 2286 and TD glowplugs interchangable does anyone know? I have a set of 19J glowplugs from my old TD, 3 of which work for sure, and was wondering whether they would fit the 2286 head, if it is indeed a 2286 head....

The series 2286 plugs you have are M14 x 1.25, probe plugs for coiler 2286 & 2.5 are M12 x 1.25. So in short they are NOT interchangable. Also a 2286 head has smaller hot spots than a 2.5, so what compreeion ratio is it running??????.

Simple maths.

2 1/4 engine, 23:1cr.

2286 / 4 = 571.5cc per cylinder / CR of 23:1 = 24.8478cc combustion chamber.

2.5 engine, 21:1cr.

2495 / 4 = 623.75cc per cylinder / CR of 21:1 = 29.7024cc combustion chamber.

So a 2495 / 4 = 623.75cc per cylinder / cylinder vol of 2286 head = 25.1:1cr, no wonder it started with no working glow plugs.

Edited by Phil Hancock

So is it a 2286 head with M14 plugs, or a TD head with M12 plugs? I havent the time to look today, fitting PAS to The 109. The owners coming for it later, I might get him to do it before it goes. These plugs are wired in series too, so need a resistor? The ones off my old 19J are wired in parrallel and so don't need a resistor...

the wiring in series suggests it's a 2286cc head I'd say .

If the plug thread is the M14 size a compression test to check values might be in order - if its wildly higher than the book spec then a thicker HG would help to bring it back in spec .

cheers

Steveb

the wiring in series suggests it's a 2286cc head I'd say .

If the plug thread is the M14 size a compression test to check values might be in order - if its wildly higher than the book spec then a thicker HG would help to bring it back in spec .

cheers

Steveb

only one size of head gasket is available for these engines.... And it wont affect the compression ratio by a useful amount

So is it a 2286 head with M14 plugs, or a TD head with M12 plugs? I havent the time to look today, fitting PAS to The 109. The owners coming for it later, I might get him to do it before it goes. These plugs are wired in series too, so need a resistor? The ones off my old 19J are wired in parrallel and so don't need a resistor...

Wakey wakey people, it is a 2.25 head from a lateish series 5 main bearing engine, as 2.25 plugs(M14) will not fit a 2.5 head(M12). Edward if you want to drop round i will give you a set of M14 probe plugs so you dont need a resistor.

If the manifold studs are 5/16"UNF, the thermo bolts 1/4"UNF & the rocker feed banjo bolt in the head is thin headed with a 1/8"BSP thread it will be a 2.25 head as that will be an imperial head. The late 2.25's & all the 2.5's were metric.90/110 2.25's have the smaller glow plugs the same as the 2.5's.

Edit, Looking at the third pic the rocker oil supply has a thin headed banjo bolt screwed in the head, not the thick headed metric job that would be in a 2.5 head, so its a late imperial head from a 2.25!.