Steering shafts, 90/110 PAS

ejparrott

I'm sure I know the answer, I'm just paranoid....

Having issues with the length of shafts from the bottom of the steering column to the input side of the PAS box.....i'm 4" too short at present! I've got the box sitting in a position i'm happy with - i've got the ball joint drop arm on, its wrapped around the chassis thanks to the extra 2" of the military chassis. I haven't drilled the bolt holes yet so the box is still movable, but I think if I go 4" back it'll be silly - it'd probably be ok with a 90/110/disco axle where the trackrod is on the back though.

If I machine a length of EN24 at work, and have splines cut on it to fit standard LR steering UJ's, is it legal in the eyes of SVA etc?

I believe it is, because its mechanical, and i've asked similar questions before, and I know that welded joints of a satisfactory standard are ok and who's the MoT man to determine anyway etc etc etc, I'm just paranoid and want someone to smack me round the head and tell me to get on with it......

I'm just waiting on a friend to have a measure of his hybrid, that uses the 2 long halves of a 90/110 shaft knocked together on the rubber slidery doodah.

who's up for smacking me first???

Hmmm......... been thinking.............. maybe cause i have a 110 bulkhead as well.......... In the past when we built various safari racers we used to weld the spilines to a length of pipe to make the shaft up. They never failed.

Here is a pic of mine.

post-116-0-57478800-1335639796_thumb.jpg

I'm not looking to weld EN24 David, that was my material of choice for a 'custom' shaft, however, the disco shaft I have, I now find out to be 95% aluminium, which means that a temporary cut 'n shut is out of the question!

I've phoned a few friends tonight who have measured their shafts for me, looks like a disco shaft is shorter than a 90/110 shaft, failing that, custom it is!

If you can grab the steering wheel and turn it as hard as possible without breakage, and the splines are machined right, where's the risk? It's as good as OE :)

I'd say better than OE, but you never know which new part that is 'better than OE' is trouble because it was designed to be a weak link. Like fitting really hard bushes and finding you truck gains an apetite for half shafts. Bigger not always better and all that ;)

It was after coming up with the plan to make a custom shaft, and gutting and welding the disco shaft just so I could move it on the drive, that I discovered the disco shaft is aluminium....so are the UJ's!!

I'm hoping the shaft from David's 90 will fit as it is.....

It was after coming up with the plan to make a custom shaft, and gutting and welding the disco shaft just so I could move it on the drive, that I discovered the disco shaft is aluminium....so are the UJ's!!

I'm hoping the shaft from David's 90 will fit as it is.....

Told you 24T would be a bit overkill!

Anything else you might want from the 90? And have you used the Drag Link on the conversion?

New 90/110 UJ's arrived this morning, sadly ones a Sh*tpart, but i'll get over to see David tonight for a 90 steering shaft and try to fit it tonight, should it be too short, top miller at work has had a look at the disco shaft today and he reckons he's got a cutter for making the splines on a new one for me........I think we have a solution!

Well, I did get a 90/110 shaft from David, but chief miller at work saw it and decided to have a go, so we have a custom shaft...

2012-05-03_18-16-12_460.jpg

I neglected to measure it before I took it off again, it'll have some flats milled on tomorrow to clear the screws. I finished work at 1230 on a Friday, so I'll fit it proper tomorrow (weather permitting) and start on the engine alterations.

I'm a happy bunny :i-m_so_happy: