RRC Boot Floor Replacement

MikeAK

I pulled the carpets and soundproofing out of the boot of my RRC this morning to find the floor looks like this.

post-6152-0-47680800-1336237276_thumb.jpg

No suprise to many here I'm sure!

Three hours, 144 spot welds, 2 spot weld drills and a bad back later it looks like this.

post-6152-0-58859700-1336237393_thumb.jpg

I have an ali floor from an older RRC that will be putting in.

I will be ordering the rear body cross member and the "Z" sections around the edge of the floor from YRM Metal Solutions, but I cant find anyone selling the supports that run under the floor. Does anyone know of a supplier for these?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

Your rear floor looked in better condition than mine did when I sorted my rear floor last year. Not as many holes.

My front underfloor cross members I cleaned up, and repainted as they were still sound. However as with yours, the rear one had rotted to much. I just made up a new one myself out of 2.5mm steel.

Looking back though, I wish now that I had butt welded the "Z" sections in rather than an overlap weld.

What state is the body rear cross member in?

Dunc

Dunc

The floor was a lot worse by the time it was removed, a lot of the apparently small rust areas became a lot bigger as soon as they were probed with a screwdriver.

Had another look at the floor supports, the front one is very corroded, the middle one could probably be salvaged. However I trial fitted the ali floor and it doesn't sit down correctly. The current floor supports raise up about 20mm in from the sides to fit the steel floor, the ali floor I will be fitting requires floor supports flat all the way across. Looking on Microcat the supports for the steel floor (ALR8519 & ALR8520) can be easily obtailned but supports for the ali floor (MXC7154 & MXC7515) no one seems to sell. As they are just flat I will make them out of box section.

Rear crossmember is also not worth repairing, holes all along the top under the tailgate plus various holes eslewhere.

AL Services in Poole (ebay and own website) do a complete kit of 2 x Z side rails and 3 x replacement cross members (thicker and stronger than original) and will sit flat under the floor - they need to be welded to the Z sections.

If you want exact replacement ones then I am led to believe Disco ones are same (http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/body-chassis-body-chassis-parts-c-10_86_150.html?page=2&sort=3a)

I am in the middle of the exact same job - replacing steel with Ali version.

I used a lot of previous threads on here for tips - worth searching out or I can post links to all........

Rob

From photo 2 it looks like you may also have some rot where the wheelarches meet the inner wing vertical faces. Mine did. Peel back carpets to reveal state of rust. I've bought a welder to self teach and save £££

• 3 months later...

Well 3 months have have gone by I've finally got back on this. Haven't touched it all that time due to rubbish weather and being mad busy at work.

Lunchtime yesterday it looked like this.

post-6152-0-04583600-1344713290_thumb.jpg

New cross member from YRM in place. New crossmember seems well made an is a perfect fit unlike body parts I've from other manufacturers.

post-6152-0-44308700-1344712669_thumb.jpg

Close of play today, "Z" pieces and fabricated floor supports in place, Inner wings have also been patched where needed. Just some tidying up like re ty-wrapping cables to be done then its ready to fit the ali floor

post-6152-0-83060900-1344712989_thumb.jpg

Weather permitting tomorrow rear wings will go back on and the floor will go in.

edit - for some reason the uploader is insisting on putting the old crossmeber picture at the end of the post, not where I put it!

Mike

post-6152-0-90764900-1344713909_thumb.jpg

Done a bit more today, but as its been so long since I started I can't remember where this pipe goes!

Does anyone know? It looks like a breather for the fuel tenk but I can't see anywhere to attach it at the filler neck.

post-6152-0-63048200-1344771010_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Mike

Did you get Z supports from AL Services? Have you offered up the Ali floor yet? Mine just clears the tank pipe fittngs. I put an extra cross member at that spot to provide some local support to stop floor flexing and damaging the unions. The Ali floor doesn't have the inspection plate and "flat area" around the tank fittings like the steel version has........just something to watch out for on Ali floor fitting. I used Tek screws to attach to Z sections to aid easy removal. Also use a butyl sealant and NOT a PU sealant.........PU will glue it forever....

No I got the Z sections from YRM Metal Solutions along with the crossmember. Already got Tek screws and a roll of butyl putty.

Good tip about the clearance from the floor to the fuel unions, I will check that before fitting the floor.

Didn't get the floor fitted yesterday just the wings back on then I got rained off.

Thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...