Buying advice

HoSS

A friend of mine is considering buying a 90.

Now whilst i know a lot about series, and v8 Defenders, i've never owned an oil burner.

The current one he's looking at is an '89 2.5 TD with 200k km.

I seem to recall that people prefer the 200TDi or 300TDi to the 2.5, but is it ok? or should he look for a later model?

Any other advice welcome too.

Hoss

Depends a bit on the TD, the TD thats just gone in the Series 2 is being a bit troublesome at present, but it was a brilliant engine in the hybrid. It'd pull all day without missing a beat. The only reason I took mine out was because it was a troublesome engine, and needing one in a hurry there was only a TDi avaliable.

Personally I think they're a bit rubbish by today's standard. 45mph in my 110 going through the Stokenchurch Gap on the M40, coming back from Wales with five people and a shed-load of camping gear/firewood/etc. on board made for an unpleasant experience! Fine on the flat though.

If it runs and doesn't smoke like a bugger, leak like a sieve, or do anything unexpected, then it'll be fine for running about in. And if you want to swap it at a later date then you can do, the TD will get you about while you peruse for a new engine :)

Also price is a factor, if its dirt cheap then that can offset a lot of niggles with the power plant. "generally speaking" a 200 or 300 tdi is more desirable as they are a little more purpose designed the DT (diesel Turbo) was what it says... a diesel with a turbo bolted on as an after thought.

Buying defenders is such a lottery, older ones can be in better nik then a 5yr old one just depands on there abuse. - whats he buying it for? what use?

Mav

An 89 TD will be one of the last which was made and most of the major problems with the earlier versions of the 19J engine had been ironed out by then. I swapped mine for a 300TDI when I did a chassis up re-build but up until then it had done 170k miles with no major problems. It ran a bit hot, and burned most of the oil which had not already leaked past the crankshaft seal, but it went tolerably well for a 20 year old motor.

At 200,000 km it's certainly going to be showing its age, but it won't necessarily be completely knackered so long as it's been reasonably well looked after.

It depends on what your man wants it for. If he wants something for local bumbling around and short range towing then it will be fine. If he's looking for a reliable, comfortable long distance motor then it's not ideal (but then, personally, I don't think there are any Defenders which fit that description!).

Nick.