Source of the PAS Squeel

A few weeks ago I replaced the alternator and PAS belts as I was getting that slippy belt squeel when turning 90 degrees at low speeds. This was a problem from the day I bought the Defender 200 Td1. I suspected the steering pump but as belts are cheap and I had bigger fish to fry I just replaced both alt and PAS belts. All seemd OK for a few weeks but it's started squeeling again.

Closer inspection reveals that when the wheels are locked the PAS pulley can be seen to stop causing the belt to squeel, the tension seems good enough, can only squeeze a cm of slack out of it. I wonder whether I should try more tension ?

Just to be clear, I never lock the wheels fully intentionally, the squeeling put me off from the start :)

I'll second that, I have a genuine LR PAS belt on my NA, and it's not overly tight, but it dosen't squeal on full lock, el cheapo belts probably as someone said don't have the right profile, and the material is also probably less grippy too....

• 5 weeks later...

Well lads, I finally got around to fitting a genuine land rover belt AND a genuine land rover pulley ! I had difficulty getting the old one off as the belt was slipping badly, I couldn't get my hands on a strap wrench. I ended up getting two bolts loose and then used two screwdrivers in the holes along with a piece of threaded bar to hold the whole thing still.

I thought I would have real trouble tightening the bolts when I fitted the new parts, not at all. What a difference in traction, I got the bolts tightened no problem.

Pulling out of tight parking spaces is no longer a cringe worthy experience, the squeeling is no more :)

• 4 months later...

The above solution seems to have lasted well, but the suspected underlying problem cam to a head a couple of weeks ago. On a shooting trip with several people in the vehicle the squeel returned. On returning home I discovered the belt was a wee bit loose again,so a gave it a wee tighten.

The next day I was 200m into a drive when there was an almighty squeel from the beasty and then silence. I suspected a catastrophic failure and the heavy steering backed up my suspicion. We stopped along the road to find the PAS pump bearing had collapsed and the spindle was moving freely in any direction.

Returning home I enticed £180 of my hard earned from the credit card and a few days later I have fitted a new PAS pump.

I hope I have now put an end to this nonsense once and for all !!!!