Adding USB to dash

M&S

Hi all,

I'm looking to add a couple of USB ports to my vehicle. I have the 12v plug in adapters and USB adapter in that, but I was wondering if either of the following are available? I have trawled ebay but no joy!

1) A USB only block with straight 12v power lead (not coiled) that I can hardwire into my accessory fuse box.

2) A flange or similar mounted USB block that I can cut a slot in my dash and mount with a 12v convertor somewhere behind/in the lead?

As I say, I have the "Ring" 12v double adapter etc, but there are quite a few cables running about and I'd like to tidy things up a bit. Thinking about adding USB sockets to the top of the dash, where the radio vents are.

Any pics/ideas welcomed!

Thanks, Martin

PS - It's a disco so not looking at raptor dash or anything like that. Just cheap bits I can mount myself.

cosecon - that is the sort of thing, just smaller would be good, and black plastic would be fine also (although I'd spray that).

Luke - I'm doing some searches now and this is what I'm after:

http://rvtek.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=63_1_3_56_59&products_id=73

I might make something like that in cosecons link, with the 12v converter mounted under the dash, and some usb sockets from maplins or somehwere perhaps.

Another option is to strip the connectors out of an old PC case, find one of the old ones with connectors at the back and they are held in by two screws to a blanking plate, they also have flyleads you could use to wire to a 12v - 5v converter.

They are also likely to be free ;) It's what I will be using when I get around to it

EDIT: this is what I'm on about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170851476340 don't buy one though, just find an abandoned pc.

Just bought teh Griffin device, fits my needs perfectly. I'll install a 12v sockt on the dash (already have) and plug this in. Easy :i-m_so_happy:

Will post pics when I'm done, and would still like to see other peoples ideas.

That RS one would have been the one if I hadn't found the Griffin one. The bonus of teh griffin is that I don't need to have a 12v to 5v converter anywhere, I can just wire it straight in to teh 12v with the socket I already have. If I had a defender I'd have gone for the first one in cosecon's link, but for the Disco I think this meets my needs.

Thanks Jason, look the same as teh griffin ones and from your pics are what I'm after. As you say, works out cheaper and you can remove them to use standard 12v/ I could even put it in my mates car if travelling with him.

Win-win!

Thanks Jason, look the same as teh griffin ones and from your pics are what I'm after. As you say, works out cheaper and you can remove them to use standard 12v/ I could even put it in my mates car if travelling with him.

Win-win!

I liked the fact that they were flush fitting so nothing sticking out :moglite:

That's why I wanted them for teh top of the dash. I have the same 12v plugs as yours also, do the covers fit with teh usb thing in place? That would be really handy, with tehm facing upwards and all.

I've used these in my cubby box to connect to the onboard PC.

http://www.conec.com/catalogs/c1/media/catalog/category-aboutpdf/10031_CON_I_O_09_part_13_GB.pdf

Waterproof and therefore dust proof. USB connector both sides so I just use a patch lead to connect to the PC.

You can sort out the voltage behind the scenes and connect to the port with standard USB lead.

Neil

Waterproof and therefore dust proof.

Sorry, my inner-geek can't resist...dust ingress protection rating is the X, with water the Y in an IPXY ingress-protection rating:

ip_chart.gif

Back on topic, another vote for the belkin 'flush mounted' device - looks neat and just works IME.

That's why I wanted them for teh top of the dash. I have the same 12v plugs as yours also, do the covers fit with teh usb thing in place? That would be really handy, with tehm facing upwards and all.

Unfortunately not, the covers fit M-F into the outlet so the adaptor fills this gap, however they are quick to remove if you need to seal them.

Jason.

Got the griffin USB thing yesterday and it does the job. Very tight fitting so doesn't come out when you pull the usb leads out, and it does charge my ipod touch (apparantly some similar devices won't).

Sits about 4mm proud, so not quite flush, but not a problem. For under £4 delivered it does the job just fine!

I've used these in my cubby box to connect to the onboard PC.

http://www.conec.com..._part_13_GB.pdf

Waterproof and therefore dust proof. USB connector both sides so I just use a patch lead to connect to the PC.

You can sort out the voltage behind the scenes and connect to the port with standard USB lead.

Neil

how much do they cost?

I put a couple, taken from one of the things to go in the card slots, in the

panel on my mill. they look plopplops, the cables are molded in so splicing

to cat looks plopplops, they need covers over them[not got an roundtuit]

• 2 weeks later...