New Disco 2.....some questions

DiscoHere

Hi Guys

I have just bought a new Disco 2 (03 facelift version) and I have a few basic questions that you may be able to help me with.

1) Do all facelift models have a diff lock or did some of the early ones still rely on the traction control? The reason I ask is because I have a label above the high low lever that indicates a diff lock but the lever will not move. it is not just stiff ...it just will not move nor was it ever designed to. Also there is no diff lock light on the dash when I turn on the engine.

2) How do I raise the headlight beam? it seems to be fairly sealed but I am wondering if there is an adjustment somewhere that I can get at easily?

3) Similarly the headlight washer jets do not work and I am wondering if there is a known fault that I can start on?

All help and advice gratefully accepted

Hugh

There was no diff lock fitted to some model years of disco, do a quick search on here or google and you will find loads of info on the subject.

Headlight aim should be adjustable via a switch on the dash or if it is just poor aim in general i recommend taking it to a garage who can set it up with the appropriate equipment, they shouldnt charge much

For the headlight washers to work, the headlights have to be switched on and they will spray on every 3rd operation of the washers

Hope that helps

Headlight adjustment is an easy enough job to do yourself. I'll try and get a photo later to make it easier to explain. The whole headlight unit moves, not individual lights.

You need to crawl under the disco and check the top of the transfer box at the front. If you have a spigot sticking up then you have difflock but need the linkage. If not, you don't. Mine doesn't have it and I've not missed it to be honest. Don't get too hung up on it until you've used teh vehicle for a while and got some decen't tyres for it. Driven well you won't miss the difflock.

Headlight washers work as above.If still not working then it might be the pump. There are three pumps on the washer bottle, one for rear window, one for front and one for headlights. Easy change if that's all it is. I haven't got tehm anymore and don't miss them, I reckon they just wasted water to be honest!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, all face lift models were fitted with the diff lock - if you have round headlights you should have it.

Does the lever lean to the right and have the diff lock pattern on the knob - you push the lever to the left (vertical) to engage. the previous D2's with no diff lock have a transfer lever that is vertical. even the non diff locked D2's had the light but it just wasn't activated.

Yes, all face lift models were fitted with the diff lock - if you have round headlights you should have it.

No they weren't. It was only ever an option. I know of loads of facelift ones that didn't have it fitted, though why anybody would order one without it for the minimal saving is beyond me. It may have been fitted as standard for some market specs, but not for ROW for our part of the world nor for UK market vehicles. Whether the transfer box has the innards or not is a bit hit and miss, some do and some don't, I think they used up the stock of non difflock transfer boxes on the vehicles that weren't ordered with it, very late 04 ones seem more likely to have it.

Mine was a July 04, so one of the last off the line, top spec, and it doesn't have the internals.

It does seem that if it was fitted you'd have the markings on the transfer knob. Mine just has Hi and Low, no difflock markings. That doesn't tell you if the gearbox internals are fitted, but does tell you if the linkage is there or not.

i have a 2003 (52) and there is no difflock on it, obviously its easier just to use the same stickers for them with and them without, as for headlight adjustment the swithch is just to the right of the steering cowl on the dash and as mentioned above the washers only work wi the lights on but in my opinion their just a waste of time.

PS - Don't get hung-up over it until you've put decent tyres on and driven it off-road a lot. It's a very capable machine with the traction control once you get used to it. Very capable!

If the headlight washers don't work the most likely cause is that somebody like me got sick of the washers emptying the screen wash tank on a daily basis in the winter and took the fuse to the pump out, which is why mine haven't worked for 9 years :)

They are more or less ineffective and use a colossal amount of screen wash so better off without!

I agree with BogMonster. I unplugged the pump on mine. Now I've changed the bumper they aren't there anymore anyway. I have a spare pump already fitted to my washer bottle should I need it :i-m_so_happy:

I keep a rag and some window cleaner in the side door pocket, far more effective!

Yes I am now aware that not all Facelift models were produced with the diff lock included. Mine for one was one of them that did not have it. I will try it with just the TC and from all reports it seems to work well.

I am still trying to figure out how to raise the headlights so as they give me a good view of the road ahead. The electronic unit doesn't raise them enough. Would I be correct in presuming the 2 male spline bolts on the top of the headlight unit are the key to raising and lowering them???

Hugh