Comp safari car

dorky

There is an argument for shifting some weight off the front axle, especially if you are not spending lots on shocks.

However concentrating all the weight in the middle is not good. I was planning this when I built my first one and cant remember all the physics, something to do with polar moment, I'm sure Daan will know.

In general laymans terms, engine at the front and the car acts like a dart; In the rear like a pendulum so helps on cornering. All the weight in the middle and it acts like a seesaw.

Hmm, i am being askedfor an opinion on a comp safari car? Well, I know on a rally car you usually try to aim for 55% front weight split, so that on accelaration you have 50-50 split. On comp safari cars, many now have a rear engine, I presume this is more for stability while being airborne. But I dont have any experience with this. Over to you steve!

Daan

• 1 month later...

Im quite new to offroading, But always loved the look of safaris, And went to many when I was a child. Looking to start safaris soon, Anyone got any tips on where to start? I live in devon aswell :)

As for your car I have an 88" qt truck and It has served me wheel in the Off roading I have done, And they seem to be popular for safaris.

• 3 months later...

I know its an old thread but just had a thought. Mr Steve Hiatt you never used to meet at the AWDC pub meet way back when at the north star did you??

used to be a popular hangout for the trials guys and comp safari guys sorta late 80's early 90's.

My old man is converting old trials videos from way back then one with a Huge I mean Huge dodge on road tyres getting wedged in a hole in a local trial.

Hmm, i am being askedfor an opinion on a comp safari car? Well, I know on a rally car you usually try to aim for 55% front weight split, so that on accelaration you have 50-50 split. On comp safari cars, many now have a rear engine, I presume this is more for stability while being airborne. But I dont have any experience with this. Over to you steve!

Daan

Rear engined stability in mid air? not! A rear engined motor has the problem that if the front has landed at a steep angle the engine mass overtakes the front and over it goes the most painful roll to have.

There are lots of vids on YouTube IIRC.

Marc.