3.5 V8 Spark Plugs & HT Leads

My V8 is currently fitted with the recommended Champion RN9YC spark plugs and Lucas HT leads. The spark plugs have been in for approximately 15,000km and although there is no marked deterioration in performance I am considering changing them out as I recall reading an article that said that the spark plugs in the V8 do not have a long life. Would anybody care to comment? On the same topic I am having difficulty sourcing Champion spark plugs locally and have been offered the NGK equlvalent, again any comments?

I replaced the HT leads wlth a set from Lucas approxlmately 20,000km ago and they appear to be dolng well. My question on the HT leads is are there any better out on the market or are the leads from Lucas about as good as it gets?

As far as sourcing the replacements is concerned I periodically import bits from the UK so non-availability in Bolivia is not a great problem.

I have run Champion, NGK and the Denso equivalent of the NGK's in my 3.5 with no issues. OEM leads are totally fine as long as they are kept clean and separated properly (especially 5 & 7) and people who tell you that you need million pound magencor leads or the like and super whizzy plugs are talking poo. :blink:

I am currently running NGK BP6RES on home made leads powered by EDIS coilpacks. No problems at all. :i-m_so_happy: LPG and petrol both run perfectly.

*edit - to answer your question on longevity I ran my OEM leads for a long time with no problems, some 20,000 miles or so- some went even further after I fitted EDIS as they were still in place with totally bodged on adaptor ends to allow the rover ends to connect to the EDIS coils... that "temporary" solution lasted about a year at least...

I have run Champion, NGK and the Denso equivalent of the NGK's in my 3.5 with no issues. OEM leads are totally fine as long as they are kept clean and separated properly (especially 5 & 7) and people who tell you that you need million pound magencor leads or the like and super whizzy plugs are talking poo. :blink:

I am currently running NGK BP6RES on home made leads powered by EDIS coilpacks. No problems at all. :i-m_so_happy: LPG and petrol both run perfectly.

*edit - to answer your question on longevity I ran my OEM leads for a long time with no problems, some 20,000 miles or so- some went even further after I fitted EDIS as they were still in place with totally bodged on adaptor ends to allow the rover ends to connect to the EDIS coils... that "temporary" solution lasted about a year at least...

Thanks for your input. My question on longevity was regarding the plugs rather than the leads. Any thoughts?

I also run the BPR6ES from NGK on Petrol and LPG with no problem at all. Needed a bit of fiddling to set the gap out of the box, about half were more or less correct. Better than the Champion ones I took out in my opinion.

Another positive vote for NGK. Many thanks!

The NGK's I have in at the mo are over a year old which means that they have probably done between 15 and 20,000 miles so far. I dont routinely change plugs, rather when the mood takes me. I've never had a plug fail on me from age. The general consensus is that the standard NGK plugs are the best option...

One of the more senior members can probably give you a figure on expected plug life, or you could take a mooch around www.v8forum.co.uk and see what they say.

*Should point out that Mike has stated the correct model of plug, my fingers hit the right keys, but in the slightly wrong order...

Another vote for NGK: I've never had one fail in any of my engines (which is more than can be said for Champion: I had a brand-new one shear-off the threaded part from the body as I was tightening it - the shattered ceramic bits and central electrode dropped into the cylinder meaning a head-off job).

Make sure you get the right plugs - if yours is an injection engine they're usually specified to have plugs with a "R" in the part-number, indicating they have a built-in suppressor resistor. Fitting non-resistor plugs can cause all sorts of freaky electronics-issues. Trust me, I've been there...

--Tanuki.

"Vorsprung durch Technik" as they say in Germany just before sliding into the tyre wall and breaking both legs.

The NGK's I have in at the mo are over a year old which means that they have probably done between 15 and 20,000 miles so far. I dont routinely change plugs, rather when the mood takes me. I've never had a plug fail on me from age. The general consensus is that the standard NGK plugs are the best option...

One of the more senior members can probably give you a figure on expected plug life, or you could take a mooch around www.v8forum.co.uk and see what they say.

*Should point out that Mike has stated the correct model of plug, my fingers hit the right keys, but in the slightly wrong order...

I finally got something right, makes a nice change!