Gearbox or Clutch problem?

Dear all,

I have a 2004/5 Td5 XS 90. 40k on the clock. I’ve had it from new.

Symptoms:

Unable to engage forward or reverse gears.

Intermittent problem. It doesn’t matter if the engines hot or cold or if the engines running.

I pump the clutch pedal, nothing. I try slipping the clutch and trying to engage a gear, nothing.

There is fluid in the master cylinder, there are no leaks from the master cylinder or slave cylinder.

The clutch pedal doesn’t seem to have a lot of travel before the biting point starts and the pedal travel itself has always been from new very short.

When I do eventually get the lever to engage the gears, it is very clunky and graunchy as if I’m changing gear without the use of the clutch.

It got so bad the other day I was left with no option but to coast down hill from a set of traffic lights and hope I could find a parking space that I could coast into!

I’ve spoken to the local LR dealer here in Guernsey, they seem to think it’s clutch not gearbox. They said something about the tension springs in the friction plate being loose or fallen out and getting trapped.

If that were the case and 1 or more were loose or indeed fallen out, surely a rattle would be heard and more to the point if they had fallen out then they would fall to the lowest point I.E. into the bottom of the bell housing.

Has anyone had a similar or same problem?

Any ideas

Cheers

landypc

Dear all,

Well I'm going for a genuine Land Rover slave cylinder. About £30 - £35 with the shipping to Guernsey, Channel Islands.

If it cures it and from what you guys have said,it looks like it might, then I thank you.

If it doesn't then I've already eliminated that possible problem.

I spoke with my mechanic (no I'm not a luvy but I no longer have the kit to do these jobs or the size of workshop needed) he thinks it might be the tension springs on the pressure plate acting up but goes along with your suggestions aswell.

Problem is the dual mass flywheel.

I've heard that if your going as far as changing the clutch then do the flywheel at the same time.

F@~k me (not while there's dogs on the street) what happened to the days when you bought a clutch, pulled a box out, used an aligning tool when you fitted it and put the box back. Mind you I am an old fart now so time do change!

Oh and whats this all about the clutch release lever sodding up and having to weld something to it because a rod pusshes through it!

landypc