flywheel compatibility 300 Tdi/2.5 NAD

Hi all, slowly going theough the things to do on my engine conversion,

the flywheel from the 2.5 NAD has a small groove on it, obviously something got stuck on the friction material and scored a line on the flywheel somewhere down the line (but otherwise in good shape), and the teeth on the ring gear are a little dog eared from the years of starting.

the flywheel from the 300 is nice and smooth as well as the teeth being all nice and sharp as they should be

are the two compatible: i.e. do the have the same diameter and number of teeth/tooth angle all the rest of it, parts book says they have different part numbers but I was just wonderin' and I don't think I'll be able to stay sane long enough to count all of the teeth on both flywheels!

or I'm just being lazy.....probably

Play a bit of caution there.

I tried to do the same with my 2.5 TD flywheel with the 200TDi flywheel and IIRC Daan's comment holds true.

The flywheel gets held in place with a locking device held in the groove (I used a drill through a wading plug) with the timing then set on the pump.

As Ralph states the timing could be set with a marker and with the engine out of the vehicle it would be ok.

I wouldnt however like to have to do the timing again on the vehicle in the future as a couple of degrees out could leave you chasing your tail and a lot of uncertainty.

Just my penith worth. :)

G

Presumably your conversion is 300tdi into 2.5NAD? I'd keep the 300tdi flywheel and housing. just remove the couple of studs which don't lineup with the bellhousing holes and drill out and tap the bottom of the flywheel for the bottom stud. Then you can time the engine correctly in the future as well.