Landrover Fleet

I am a lucky Guy – I’ve got a Series 1, a Series 3, a 86 V8 90 and a new 110 CSW.

Why cant I get a good deal on insuring all of them together on one policy? I live in the middle of nowhere, I’m middle-aged, have no claims, and no points, its just me on the policy – so I can only drive one at anytime – So why cant I get a reasonable deal? I don’t get it.

There are a few insurers offering multi-car policies, for example Admiral, have you tried them?

If you find the cost of insurance expensive, it may be because they have highly trained actuaries who have calculated the risks and set premiums accordingly. They might well know that, on average (insurers always work on average risk, never your own individual risk), while you are out driving one car there will be three others at home being stolen, having a handbrake failure or spontaneously combusting and setting fire to next-door's thatch occasioning a fire which kills their prize Persian cat.

Of course, if you know better than the insurers then you can always start your own insurance scheme, I will join!!!...

Chris

I wonder how much cheaper 3rd party only insurance for the 'fleet' would be then? As that would remove the cars sitting at home from the risk equation ......

Of course it would also mean the constant worry that they might get stolen

In the old days I would have said "Find your local friendly insurance broker and talk them face to face" - I.e. NFU, CIS, etc....but by all accounts they NFU at least is trying to divest itself of that business? The point being, talk to an actual expert, not an underpaid, undertrained call centre-operative who's used to covering Mondeo-man...

Sell a few cars a year? Get trade insurance!

When I talked to Peter James recently, they were not good on new-ish vehicles, by their own admission its not what they do. I would recommend trying them for the series 1, the series 3 and the 90. It could be the new 110 thats doing it. PJ insured my 88 and 109 for £116 this year, down from £122 last year, and thats with me and the missus on

Of course, if you know better than the insurers then you can always start your own insurance scheme, I will join!!!...

Chris

That's a bit of an un-necessary jibe at a fair question, and the truth is that a lot of insurers are theives. They know every scam in the book and many will use every trick to raise your premium and wriggle out of a claim. Yes, they are businesses, not charities, but when they are durectly involved in scams by selling details of accidents to litigation companies and selling personal information to third parties, then that is clear corruption. The general policy of insurers only allowing a driver to have NCD on one car and the other car being charged at a full premium is completely illogical and is nothing to do with calculated risks - it's plain money-grubbing greed - they assume that since you own two vehicles, you must have money to spare and they want as much of it as they can get, and given that insurance is mandatory, it's essentially extortion..

That's a bit of an un-necessary jibe at a fair question, and the truth is that a lot of insurers are theives. They know every scam in the book and many will use every trick to raise your premium and wriggle out of a claim. Yes, they are businesses, not charities, but when they are durectly involved in scams by selling details of accidents to litigation companies and selling personal information to third parties, then that is clear corruption. The general policy of insurers only allowing a driver to have NCD on one car and the other car being charged at a full premium is completely illogical and is nothing to do with calculated risks - it's plain money-grubbing greed - they assume that since you own two vehicles, you must have money to spare and they want as much of it as they can get, and given that insurance is mandatory, it's essentially extortion..

Exactly I've just renewed mine ones an astravan for sdp and commuting the others a v8 90 for business use. When the time came to renewing the 90 they sent me a renewal price thinking that was my only car, when I told them I had another it went up 100 quid!

I can't see a reason why each car has to be insured, why can't the driver be insured. If I was that way inclined I'd think a bit of a conspiracy with the government, they get the premium tax so the more we pay........

That's a bit of an un-necessary jibe at a fair question,

No jibe, a genuine suggestion, though I suppose it would need considerable backing of one sort or another and so is an unlikely solution. I would join such a scheme too if it offered the best premium.

and the truth is that a lot of insurers are theives. They know every scam in the book and many will use every trick to raise your premium and wriggle out of a claim. Yes, they are businesses, not charities, but when they are durectly involved in scams by selling details of accidents to litigation companies and selling personal information to third parties, then that is clear corruption. The general policy of insurers only allowing a driver to have NCD on one car and the other car being charged at a full premium is completely illogical and is nothing to do with calculated risks - it's plain money-grubbing greed - they assume that since you own two vehicles, you must have money to spare and they want as much of it as they can get, and given that insurance is mandatory, it's essentially extortion..

There is a fair amount of competition in the insurance industry, i doubt that there is much premium loading going on! I suspect it is quite expensive to develop an insurance scheme, and that unless there are likely to be sufficient sales then it would not be worth any insurer doing it.

I wonder how much cheaper 3rd party only insurance for the 'fleet' would be then? As that would remove the cars sitting at home from the risk equation ......

Of course it would also mean the constant worry that they might get stolen

Of course third party liability remains even when the vehicle is stationary so owners of other property damaged by runaways, incendiary incidents etc. would still be claiming!

I know little of insurance beyond having a basic understanding of it being a game of risk vs. premium but I do know that insurers base their premiums on the average risks that they perceive based on data available to them. It may very well be the case that a man who owns three cars and wears ex army DPMs at the weekend is a very low risk, but unless they have made a study of DPM wearing serial car buyers then they will lump them together with other known multiple car owners who may be half blind, rally driving, drink driving, axe wielding lunatics!

Chris

Of course third party liability remains even when the vehicle is stationary so owners of other property damaged by runaways, incendiary incidents etc. would still be claiming!

I was assuming the fleet would be on private property when not in use, poor assumption I guess. If it was on your private property I would assume (which of course may well be a mistake) that actually the house insurance would cover the risks of spontaneous combustion.

PS: I think you are unfairly demonising axe wielding lunatics :P

Insurance is a risk game, basically an educated gamble, take a number of premiums at an amount set on the perceived risk on market data, local demographics, driver risk, and vehicular risk, and hope they don't claim but factor in a percentage of claims into that premium. It is not a licence to print money and whilst many on here may be honest as the day is long, there are lots of people out there that will at best lie about their previous history, modifications etc which they know would have increased the original premium, but moan when the insurance company "use this" as a reason not to pay the full claim, because they were not playing with all the facts, it is somehow unfair to them!!

I have seen at least four major underwriters go to the wall this year, and whilst it is true that the broker sells details the underwriter does not, just some greedy middle men.

I have always declared everything on insurance including re-maps and have never had a problem when it comes to a claim, This year the S1 insurance was £80 which when you consider the money that the broker and HMRC would have taken they really are not making a lot of money.

I removed business use from my 110 this year as have now sold my business and have a company car which reduced my policy by £400.00 as I was removing a high risk business from the policy, but insure everything is declared and written down so I have full confidence that if I should need to claim I can.

Rant over and back on topic, have you considered traders insurance? whit this you can set the amount of excess to reduce the costs, for example if you said you would pay the first £2,500.00 for any total loss or damage claim this would significantly reduce your premium.

Regards, Jason.