Which engine mount for 200 TDI ?

greenstream

Hi

I'm in the process of intaling a Disco 200 TDI into a 109" STW.

My problem is th engine mount for the right hand side (yours nearside) of the engine. I thought that the standard series mount would fit, as written by Glen Coyne. Those standard series mount that I have gotten hold of seems be to short to fit the holes on the engine ?

The distance from center to center hole on the engine is app. 4" but the holes in the mounts are somewhat closer to each other !

Is there a nother mount that will fit ? or will I have to modify the one that I have ? If so which hole should I keep and which one do I have to change.

I colud mount the engine and have figure it out that way, but being a little lazy, I thought it would be easyer to ask you guys.

Thanks a lot.

Morten

You can use the mounts from a 2.25 engine on a Discovery/RRC 200Tdi, but not on a Defender engine as the injection pump on the Defender unit will foul the rhs mount. In that case, you'll need to use the Defender mount and modify the chassis bracket to fit.

yeah use the origional engines brackets and standard mounts. thats what i did with mine at first, then replaced the rubbers with transit ones, which rewuired slight modification to a bracket and a nip taking from the rubber on the nearside.

but standard mounts fit straight away.

I just used diesel series rubbers. No mods required at all to any of the engine mounts. I seem to recall it was tight to get to the bolts on the offside mount to do them up (had to use a spanner rather than a socket) but that was all.

Jon

2.25 mounting rubbers are much smaller than Defender 200Tdi rubbers (which are the same part as the 2.5nad, TD and petrol mounts), so might further reduce engine vibration, but at the cost of reduced service life. SIII diesel rubbers are very stiff, so will last very well but will transmit more vibration. The correct Defender mounts are supplied by various manufacturers, and even the Gen Parts ones seem to be of incorrect specification now, being very hard and transmitting a great deal of vibration at idle. The higher quality Bearmach mounts seem to be the best (after a lot of trial and error with different manufacturers and different engine mounts) - they have a central rib with radiused edges, rather than square section edges, and are soft enough that a thumb nail easily deflects the rib, while the bad (including gen parts) are sigid enough that they have almost a plastic nature to them.

Transit mounts are reputed to work well too, but there are lots of different Transit models and years, and you'd have to get the right type. Mikey can hopefully tell us which year and spec Transist mounts he used.

• 4 weeks later...

This is actually the spare engine, but its exactly the same as whats in The 109, its a 200 TDi disco engine, with the 300 TDi exhaust manifold and turbo. This is the nearside, mounted on the forward set of holes, no modifying was required...

2012-08-09_17-45-28_132.jpg

2012-08-09_17-44-49_655.jpg

2012-08-09_17-44-39_809.jpg