OT: Running a diesel on kerosine / kerosine mix

MogLite

The engine in my old Omega is a 2.5 straight six BMW engine - the same one as the p38a Range Rover (for Land Rover content)

Supposing somebody put a kerosine or possibly a kerosine mix in the tank instead of diesel - what do you reckon would be the effect ?

.....I can see people queuing up to grass me up to customs and excise for duty evasion......but it wasn't me who did it.

I sold the car, and the new owner bought 60 litres of fuel with him in jerry cans for the journey home.

It wasn't the best car in the world have done 302,000 miles, but it only lasted about 10 miles before it broke-down and the new owner was looking for a flat-bed taxi.

RAC reckons it was a toasted fuel pump, was the new owner unlucky or stupid ?

Hi

Up to 30% petrol can be put into diesel to stop waxing when cold & a mix up to 50% for kerosene (28sec) or other petroleum’s is also allowed as theas are the accepted means of stopping waxing when fuel additives are not available, pretty much any diesel engine will happily run on just kerosene or most other petroleum’s, but unless you have a multy fuel injector pump its life will be significantly shortened due to the fact that kerosene dose not have the ash, sulphur or lubricating oil quality’s of diesel fuel or injector pumps generally require.

As far as HP fuel pumps go that are mounted in fuel tanks etc for CRD they will suffer the same, but more damage is done to them by water and dirt in the fuel than would be done by kerosene.

But I would just say they were unlucky.

b101uk

It could be the problem, as the kero is no where near as oily as diesel, so depending on the mix, the fuel pump might have been running dry, as there was not enough lubricity in the mix.

A few years back when I was working for a certain employer, we were able to use all the waste avtur that we drained from aircraft, some diesels ran perfectly on straight avtur (which is basically kero, with some additives), and on some it destroyed the fuel pump due to lack of lubrication, so the fix was to put and extra litre of so of oil in with the fuel to avoid the problem.

I think it was the land cruisers that did`nt like running on it straight.

It could be the problem, as the kero is no where near as oily as diesel, so depending on the mix, the fuel pump might have been running dry, as there was not enough lubricity in the mix.

A few years back when I was working for a certain employer, we were able to use all the waste avtur that we drained from aircraft, some diesels ran perfectly on straight avtur (which is basically kero, with some additives), and on some it destroyed the fuel pump due to lack of lubrication, so the fix was to put and extra litre of so of oil in with the fuel to avoid the problem.

I think it was the land cruisers that did`nt like running on it straight.

the peugot/citron 1.9 turbo diesel will run quite happly on avtur with the ocasional tank of diesel also discos will put up with a couple of tank fulls over a period of time not that i know of coarse oh and avtur has no pigment in it so its not going to alert customs tee hee