Rebuilding 2.5TD

Went over this afternoon to look at the engine. The engine seems ok. The guy checked the engine and guaranteed it's fine. So i asked him if there are any problems with it i can return it and swap it for a other one? Answer was yes!

Yep i decided to buy it. I'll pick it up friday the 29th. The conversion will be done on the 30st. That gives me a little time to order a few things an sort some things out. Maybe you guys can help me with that.

1 want to use the td airbox is that possible(it comes with the 200tdi airbox)

2 the engine comes with discovery oil cooler pipes. (Don't ask me why) I have some oilcooler pipes from the td but the connexion to the oilcooler is a later type. Is there an easy way to make the hoses longer.

use your TD oil filter head & existing oil cooler hoses & the adaptors from your radiator oil cooler connections, as it comes with the correct air cleaner would be better to use that, provided the mounting bracket is included.

The thing is that i don't have the radiator with oilcooler on my TD now. At the moment i driving without an oilcooler. I was busy to get all the parts and then install it. But things have changed now. Are oilcooler pipes from the disco much shorter?

The thing is that i don't have the radiator with oilcooler on my TD now. At the moment i driving without an oilcooler. I was busy to get all the parts and then install it. But things have changed now. Are oilcooler pipes from the disco much shorter?

Just got an email from the guy i bought the engine. He had a pair of adapters for me so that's solved.

If you can get the Defender 200Tdi air cleaner box, pipes and bracket etc. then go for it, keeps it all standard that way so much easier for the future.

When I converted a late 2.5TD vehicle the holes were even in the inner wing ready for the air cleaner bracket to bolt in, I was most impressed.

Got mail from paddock that my order is shipped. New seals for the crank, front crank rear crank, cam. New belt, tensioner and wheel. New gaskets etc.

Genuine of course :i-m_so_happy: Next week i'll make a start with the preparations. Undo all the bolts and bits, tunnel housing, wiring etc. I'm trying to get that far that i'm on Saturday only have to lift the old TD out and the 200 tdi in. And also new clutch of course

Job done. :) It was a lot off work. There were a few problems like a cracked waterpump bolt, so i had to drill it out and tap new thread. The adapters from the oilcooler lines did'nt fit on the oilfilter housing so i had to the replace it with the TD housing. The radiator unit was from a disco so the mounts need to be lowered :o

But everything is fine now and the engine is running. It took us 8 hours to complete the job :i-m_so_happy:
12553022.jpg
12553026.jpg
12553034.jpg
12553037.jpg

The fan cowl is not installed yet because its cracked so i've to fix that first. So far so good ^_^

A very big improvement

good install, make sure the lower oil cooler hose is well clear of the steering column collapsible joint, it looks a bit close in the 3rd photo.

Yep you're right. I have to do some fine tuning. The airfilter housing needs to be tide up properly as well and the fan cowl has to be installed.