Rebuilding 2.5TD

Yes it is, just on another enthusiast website, gives the same info with update part numbers

there is a gasket on the TD engine, as shown in the lower end gasket kit here http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php?xProd=92455

So yet another link to a non genuine parts list that shows a gasket, THE GENUINE PARTS BOOK LISTS NO GASKET FOR THE TD, i know which i believe as an unreinforced sump flange(no doubling plates) will distort like hell with a gasket in there.

my genuine paper parts bok for 110 1987 on shows the exact same diagram & part numbers & the britcar link shows a sump gasket, ONLY the Tdi engines use the hylomar 2000 sealant.

look at the gaskets page for the TD engine even though it's a line dawing diagram it clearly shows a sump gasket in the genuine parts book. for Tdi engine it specifies the STC611 sealant in the parts description list.

Well i used sealant for the oil pan and this is working fine. No leaking what so ever. Another thing is that i changed from oil type. I use now 10W60 fully synthetic race oil from Kroon oil. This is working out very well. The engine runs more smooth and is more quiet. The oil will also give the engine a better protection against heat stress related problems.

I'll go with the Brit-car link photo I posted, it has the matching part number with the parts book, if you want to use gasket sealant go ahead, it's not my engine.

I did use a gasket on the first place when i rebuild the engine. After replacing the new oilpump i used sealant because the gasket was become so hard it cracked.

I'll go with the Brit-car link photo I posted, it has the matching part number with the parts book, if you want to use gasket sealant go ahead, it's not my engine.
Fine carry, on but the parts book does not list a gasket or show one on the detail parts page. To show that the pictures alone cant be trusted over the parts list, look at a 1 ton salisbury series 3 front axle case pic, the pic shows a salisbury all right but for a 1 tonne which has integral swivels and spring over suspension!

My 1983 onwards genuine Land Rover 90-110-Defender workshop manual (paper book)states:

'On 2.25 engines, the sump is fitted with a gasket which should be renewed. .....

On later engines a bead of Hylosil RTV 102 black sealant should be applied to the sump joint face, approximately 7mm wide for a 2.5 or TD engine, approximately 2mm wide in the case of a Tdi engine.'

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards,

Diff.

My 1983 onwards genuine Land Rover 90-110-Defender workshop manual (paper book)states:

'On 2.25 engines, the sump is fitted with a gasket which should be renewed. .....

On later engines a bead of Hylosil RTV 102 black sealant should be applied to the sump joint face, approximately 7mm wide for a 2.5 or TD engine, approximately 2mm wide in the case of a Tdi engine.'

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Regards,

Diff.

Thank you Diff much obliged, i rest my case that there is no gasket on a TD. IIRC my 14J has a gasket but is a doubling plate sump like a 2.25.

The sumps can be identified by which has a gasket and which has sealer very easily. The gasket type sumps have spot welded doubling plates for the retaining bolts to bear on.

The sealant sumps have a raised rib along the middle of the joint line and around the retaining bolt holes.

in my defender workshop manual 1993 issue it says 2.25 & 2.5 n/a diesel have sump gaskets item 4 in page 78 http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/2_engine_25P_25D_25TD_p17-167.pdf & the TD page 130 http://www.retroanaconda.com/landrover/parts_books/110/2_engine_25P_25D_25TD_p17-167.pdf makes no mention of a gasket or sealant [not even listed as an additional note]

BUT LATER 2.5 engines use 7mm wide bead of Hylosill 102, therefore early TD engines would have used a sump gasket, then the later version would be sealant Hylosill 102,

Tdi's use the hylomar 2000.so we are both correct BUT as no-one specified the early or later engine,

the parts book does not mention hylosill 102 for any of the 2.5 pre tdi engines

• 1 month later...

Time for a update. Since the overhaul last summer there are still a few difficulties with the engine. The injector pump is leaking a lot and that is an issue for the Dutch MOT. I bought a second hand pump for 50 and that did'nt workout at all. still leaking. The oil pressure is still not 100%. The turbo is working fine but he's blowing oil into the boost diapraghm.

So i'm overthinking what to do? Do i going to buy a new pump(refurbished) aprox 300 pound or should i spend that money to a 200tdi?

I bought the engine last year for 100 and spent 200 on overhaul and other stuff but i think this it. The next investment is a major one and i'm questionig my self is it worth the engine.

Need some advice here, thanx

I've been reading Les topic about a 200tdi disco into a defender. How good are the 200 tdi's my NA and TD had problems with oilpressure at idle and the injectorpumps were leaking. How is that with the 200tdi? I also read that the turbo on a 200 is very good.

Does the 200tdi have weak points?

my 200 is 18 years old, never ben inside the crankcase, it's had a FIP rebuild,new injectors, turbo, cylinder head, still pulls well & in excess of 350,000 miles to it's credit.

not found any weak points like the TD suffers from, my pistons/rings/conrods & crank bearings are still original LR fit as built in '93.